Crock pot Turkey Legs?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
I have four turkey legs I want to get rid of. I've already done turkey legs on the grill and smoker so I want to try something different. My idea was to brown the legs with some evoo in a frying pan then put them in the crockpot. Then roast whatever vegatables I have on hand with some garlic in the oven and put those in the crock pot with a little white wine or vermouth and fresh basil and lemon tyme. My question is, should I put the veggies in with the meat or wait until the meat is mostly cooked and put the veggies in the last hour or two? The vegatables will already be cooked from the roasting but if I put them in early will they flavor the legs better or will they get overcooked?

I don't know if this helps, but I often make braised short ribs in the oven. My recipe called for carrots to be put in at the start of the braise which takes about 3.5 hours, at which point they are mush. So, I now add them at when there is about an hour left. Maybe you could try that halfway through and see what happens? Also, if you do end up adding them at the start and they turn to mush, which they are likely to, you can always puree all the liquid including the veggies and have a tasty gravy.

Thanks Elsie, that's what I kind of thought. I think I'll wait until the last hour.I would think that would be enough time to give the turkey some flavor. If it doesn't work I like your puree idea and maybe some mashed potatoes.

I don't think they will cook in an hour in a crockpot as they do in an oven. They will need at least a couple of hours. This I know from experience. Puree + mashed sounds delicious.

Sorry to be confusing Elsie. I meant putting the vegatables in the crock pot for the last hour of cooking after they have been roasted in the oven to try to impart the flavor of the veggies on the turkey legs.

how about confit?

I just read this blog post a day or two ago where a chef did turkey legs confit.

always wanted to try it but never had enough fat on hand. I did try pork rillettes once which is a similar concept and mighty. fine eating.

Back