Q220 buying advice

Tim T

Please can you assist my dilemma.

As a long term owner of a one touch gold I wish to purchase a gas fired grill. I am stuck between the Q220 and the Spirit E210.

The Spirit is really too big for my back garden but I am taken with the flavour bars, two burners and the thought that this will give something close to taste as my charcoal grill. The Q220 on a portable stand looks the ideal size, is cheaper, has nothing that I can see to impart that smokey bbq taste and less BTUs

So simple questions:

Does the Q impart that BBQ flavour is it it just like an oven grill?
Which is the better grill for cooking on?

Appreciate that I am posting on a Q forum but welcome your thoughts

Thanks all

Tim

I am a charcoal fanatic, but I do have the Q220 that I use during the week.

I won't pretend that it can duplicate the taste of charcoal (I don't think any gas grill can), but I am quite pleased with it. The build quality is excellent, and the cast iron grates can sear food very well. For a gas grill, it is quite easy to clean, and the temperature is reasonably adjustable. I have found that I can make a smoker pouch and get a decent amount of smoke added to food -- but once again, it won't be the same as charcoal.

Overall, I am pleased with it, and would certainly recommend to anyone who is looking for a good quality, versatile gas grill that doesn't require a ton of money. I think for the price, it is tough to beat in quality.

One more point -- if is important to you, the Q220 is still made in the United States, while the Spirit is made in China. While I have no experience with the Spirit grills, I thought this was worth mentioning.

Thanks for your advice.

I should have said that the grill will be used 90% of the time for 2. So whilst the Q320 would be ideal in some respects it reality it would be an extravegance and too large.

go with the q220. its a lot more versatil than you think. the cast iron grates make the food taste better than you think.

I have a 120 that I like very much because of its portability. It's great for simple things like hot dogs and sausages and stuff where the flavorings come from seasonings and such. The grill isn't going to impart a lot of flavor on its own.

I have a locking bed cover on my truck, and I like using the 120 for tailgating or cooking lunch at work.

Guys

Thanks for all your responses. We are just into simple BBQs with the smoke flavour rather than sauces and rubs. From what you say and from what I have read this is a great grill but that you need to add the flavour.

I think that you have made my mind up to get the Spirit 210, now I just have to find the space where to fit it.

tim, remember thats its hard to get smoke flavor from the spirit also. any gasser doesn't do well in the smoke dept. but if you don't need the portability then its up to you. again, those cast iron grates really do make a differance.

I am going to chime in too, and I prefer a charcoal grill over a gasser. However, I a have a Q200, and I use it when we are in a hurry or I just don't want to mess with charcoal. The cast iron grate really makes this grill, or any q, and good choice.

Hey,Tim!
icon_smile.gif
If you're considering the Spirit E210, the comparable Q model is the Q300/320 as both have approx 400 square inches grill space ... definitely get the Q300/320 ..it's way more bang for the buck and the tables fold down so it takes up less space!
icon_biggrin.gif
On the other hand, the Q200/220 with the permanent stand (it includes the regulator & hose for a 20# bottle) is perfect for 2 people and can handle more as needed ....
icon_cool.gif
Searing steaks, etc. on the cast iron grates of any Q model is a WONDERFUL thing!
icon_razz.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_smile.gif

Back