Looking for a food vacuum sealer

Frank C. in NY

TVWBB Member
I'm cooking so much on my 22.5 that my fridge is filling up with plenty of left overs! I thought maybe my next purchase would be a food vacuum sealer and a small kitchen scale.

I have a scale picked out, more or less, but I am confused with the over abundance of Food Saver models out there. I also ran into a Weston model, which was nice but a little pricey for me. I'm thinking around the $100 range or so is what I would like to spend. I'm don't think I need the options for sealing cans and stand up jars etc. I just want it wide enough to fit maybe a rack of ribs in, lets say.

I would love to hear everyone's recommendations.

I have the Food Saver 3880. It's no commercial unit but it's great for around here. I think I paid $149 at Costco.

If i had it to over again i'd probably get a Vacmaster from vacuumsealersunlimited.com

I am not affiliated with them. It's just I've heard good stuff about Lisa. She gives a discount code on bags every month as well.

Last edited:
I'm with Dwain on this. The FS at Costco is model 4880 or 4800 and is on sale a couple times a year there - regularly $149 and sale prices are generally $30 less. The unit works pretty well and I don't have any complaints. I've done 72 hour sous vide short ribs in large batchs (20+ lbs) as well as frozen many portions of various things and haven't ever had a bag failure. There are better, faster units out there but at this price this is really good.

This is the model I currently have and I really like it. It is more of a professional unit and is better for multiple seals in a row. I wont get the food saver out until I have a few things to seal, it's not worth the hassle for one or two bags, in my opinion. It can take up a lot of real estate in the kitchen, but is the best I have had of the 3 units I have owned. It also comes with 4 rolls and a few bags, that's worth $30-$40 alone.

The 8" rolls work perfectly for racks of ribs. The portion pouch rolls are perfect for sausages and bacon. I prefer to buy my bags from LEM, they are much cheaper.

Good Luck!

Back