Potato Pancake Recipe?

ROESTI

This is from Cook's Illustrated and we make it often. It's delicious, with a nice crunchy exterior.

The test kitchen prefers a roesti prepared with potatoes that have been cut through the large shredding disk of a food processor. It is possible to use a box grater to cut the potatoes, but they should be cut lengthwise, so you are left with long shreds. It is imperative to squeeze the potatoes as dry as possible. A well-seasoned cast-iron skillet can be used in place of the nonstick skillet. By adding fried eggs, ham, bacon, cheese, cooked onions, and/or tomatoes, (see specific suggestions below) roesti can be turned into a light meal.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (3 to 4 medium), peeled and shredded (see note above)
• 1/2 teaspoon table salt
• 1 teaspoon cornstarch
• Ground black pepper
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter

See Illustrations Below: Potato Roesti

1. Place potatoes in large bowl and fill with cold water. Using hands, swirl to remove excess starch, then drain in strainer.

2. Wipe bowl dry. Place half of potatoes in center of kitchen towel. Gather ends together and twist as tightly as possible to expel maximum moisture. Transfer potatoes to bowl and repeat process with remaining potatoes.

3. Sprinkle salt, cornstarch, and pepper to taste over potatoes. Using hands or fork, toss ingredients together until well blended.

4. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. When foaming subsides, add potato mixture and spread into even layer. Cover and cook 6 minutes. Remove cover and, using spatula, gently press potatoes down to form round cake. Cook, occasionally pressing on potatoes to shape into uniform round cake, until bottom is deep golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes longer.

5. Shake skillet to loosen roesti and slide onto large plate. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to skillet and swirl to coat pan. Invert roesti onto second plate and slide it, browned side up, back into skillet. Cook, occasionally pressing down on cake, until bottom is well browned, 7 to 9 minutes. Remove pan from heat and allow cake to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer roesti to cutting board, cut into 4 pieces, and serve immediately.

I've never thought of rösti as 'potato pancakes'. If you do, rösti are a nice thing to make.

To me, potato pancakes are latkes, containing egg and onion. Here's the one I make:

Latkes

1.5 lbs baking potatoes

1 tsp salt

.5 tsp freshly ground white pepper

1/3 tsp baking powder

2 Tbsp matzo meal

2 large eggs

1/4 cup onion, grated

schmaltz, oil, butter or mixture

Finely grate potatoes. Line a large bowl with a kitchen towel and dump potatoes in center. Foldold potatoes in towel then squeeze and twist to remove as much liquid into the bowl as possible. Set potatoes aside and let starch settle from potato liquid for 10 minutes.

In the meantime combine salt, pepper, baking powder and matzo meal in a second bowl, add eggs and beat to combine.

Carefully drain potato liquid but retain potato starch that settled to the bottom. Add this starch to the eggs alon g with the grated onion and potatoes and mix well.

Heat a large, heavy fry pan over medium heat for a couple minutes and add a small amount of fat (schmaltz, oil, butter or mixture) to coat bottom. With a large spoon, drop several small lemon-size blobs of batter into the pan and flatten with spatula. Brown on one side, then flip over to brown the second side. Continue with rest of latke dough. Keep them ready to serve on a plate in a warm oven. Latkes will not keep very long and lose a lot on reheating.

Wow,

This one brings the memories flooding back in:

My great-grandmother was the "baby" of her family, and was the only one born in the US. (The rest of her family was from Germany, in the 1880's) I suspect that they were from the border country with Poland - because a lot of her "family" recipes had a Polish-influenced feel to them.

One of our favorites that she made was potato pancakes. Nobody remembers her exact recipe (she did it from memory, and both she and our grandmother are no longer with us) - but I know that the spuds in them were shredded, not blended to mush. Although I think that she used an egg or two and omitted the onion.

They were wonderfully simple, with crispy, ragged edges from the hand-shredded potatos. She fried them in a heavy skillet with a little oil. They were great with a little home-made applesauce and washed-down with some cheap, sweet red wine.

I'm not sure which of the above is closest, but now I need to try both and experiment.

Kevin,
What is a great replacement for the matzo meal? I don't think I have seen it at the store.
Ron,
Your family may have come from East Prussia which was part of Germany in the 1880s. East Prussia was in part of Poland. It would explain the Polish influence.
Lance

My father's parents were from Frankfurt an der Oder, on the border of Poland.

You should be able to get matzo meal at any Safeway, Winco or Alberstons's. It's usually with the 'Jewish' foods, not near the flour. Ask a stocker. Barring that, dried bread crumbs would sub.

Better late then nver. This is the recipe I've been using for years. Forgive the change of name, but this is the Jewish version.

Latkes

Makes about 24-30
4 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled
1 large Spanish onion, chopped fine
2 TB garlic, minced (optional)
6 large eggs
1 cup box matzo meal
1 teaspoons salt pepper to taste

Use grating blade of food processor, but first cut potatoes into relatively small piece to avoid stinginess.. Do not over process - the potatoes must have texture. Grate onions and mix into potatoes in large mixing bowl. Add garlic if desired. Stir in eggs, enough matzo meal to thicken, salt, and baking powder. Mixture should not be too liquid. Mix well.

In large skillet, heat I inch vegetable oil. Drop in batter one tablespoonful at a time making latkes as large (or small) as desired.

Use fork and spoon to turn latkes as they fry. Remove from skillet when golden brown and crisp. Drain on cookie sheet lined with paper towels. Try to stand the latkes in rows on their ends; the oil will drain off more efficiently.

Keep warm in low oven (250 degrees) until serving.

This simple recipe makes killer latkes. Everyone I served them to said they were the best they ever had.

3 lb potatoes
1 huge onion
6 eggs
1/3 c oil
2/3 tsp salt
1/3 tsp black pepper

Food process the potatoes and onions to a tiny dice. You want it a step above minced. Definitely NOT pureed. Drain the excess water.

Mix in the oil, eggs, salt & pepper.

In a large skillet, heat up 1/4 inch of oil. (It should come half way up the height of the latkes). Make sure to get the oil nice and hot.

Spoon in 3 Tbsp of batter per latke. Smooth out the mound so that it's around 1/2 inch thick. Fry one minute on each side (really until you can safely flip the latke without it falling apart).

Let the oil drain out before serving. A couple minutes on paper towels works, just make sure to change the towels frequently so the oil doesn't pool.

IMPORTANT: Nothing is grosser than a soggy oil soaked latke. You may need a bit more oil, and make sure your oil is HOT. The perfect latke is crispy on the outside, and not greasy.

Perhaps you might enjoy this version of potato pancakes made by my German mother. It is similar in method and ingredients to the previous recipes, closer to Kevin's, but uses farina instead of flour or meal for added crispness. Also, they are thinner than 1/2 inch, closer to 1/4 inch. I wrote the recipe quite detailed for a couple of friends who are novice cooks---it's not difficult nor is it a lengthy process.

In my notes is a comment that these were quite good when cooked in a standard waffle iron. It's been a long time; I'll have to do a few that way next time. -- Rita
-----------------------------------

GERMAN POTATO PANCAKES

Makes 4 to 6 servings. You can substitute celery root, carrots, or sweet potatoes for 8 ounces of the potatoes; peel, shred, and add to water in step 1. You can also add 1 tablespoon chopped herbs, such as fresh marjoram, oregano, and/or sage in step 5.

Serve with bratwurst, knackwurst, or a smoked sausage, with applesauce to top the pancakes. In Germany and Switzerland, potato pancakes are often served as an entrée, accompanied by a green salad. Squeezing the excess liquid out of the shredded potatoes is the secret of really great potato pancakes. Two pounds of potatoes will fit in a 7 inch-diameter food processor; if making more, process in batches. My mother claimed that the farina was the secret to extra-crispy potato pancakes.

A 2-quart bowl of cold water + a few ice cubes
Plus 1 tablespoon white vinegar
7.0 oz (200 g) peeled and halved onion (8.0 oz as purchased)
2 pounds (32 oz, 907g) scrubbed or peeled baking potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks (TRY subbing 2/3 pound sweet potatoes for 2/3 pound baking potatoes)

2/3 cup (4 oz, 113g) dry farina (cereal), Cream of Wheat, or semolina
1 tablespoon (8 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground poultry seasoning or ground marjoram
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

The potato starch in the bottom of the bowl
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon table salt
Vegetable oil, about 1/16-inch deep, for frying

UP TO 4 HOURS BEFORE COOKING:

1. Prepare bowl of ice water with vinegar.

2. Fit a food processor with the fine shredding disk. Shred the onion, leaving it in the workbowl, then shred potatoes, frequently transferring shredded potatoes (with the onions) to the cold water. (Or use a hand grater, working over the bowl of water.) Let stand for 30 minutes, or refrigerate for up to 4 hours.

3. Meanwhile, in a 2-cup bowl, combine the farina, flour, and 4 seasonings; set aside.

4. Leaving the potato soaking water in the bowl and using your hands, transfer the shredded potatoes and onions to a strainer or colan-der set over another bowl. do not disturb the bowls; you want the potato starch to settle to the bottom. With your hands, and working over the strainer, squeeze excess water from the potato mixture, then pile them on a clean kitchen towel. wrap potatoes tightly in towel; twist it to wring out remaining moisture. Dry all the potatoes, using fresh towels if needed.

5. Retaining the starch that has settled to the bottom of the bowl, carefully pour off the potato liquid and discard it. Add the eggs and salt to the potato starch and beat lightly to combine. Transfer dried potatoes to the bowl with the egg mixture. Mix in the dry ingredients and toss until well blended.

6. Preheat a 200°F oven. Line a sheet pan with paper towels. Heat a heavy 12- or 14-inch skillet (preferably cast iron) on the largest burner of your range over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. When pan is hot, add 1/16 to 1/8-inch oil.

7. To fry pancakes, drop batter with a #20 (3-tablespoon) or #16 (1/4 cup) scoop in mounds into the oil, spreading the batter with the back of your spoon, scoop, or a fork to a 1/4-inch thickness. Don't pack the mixture too firmly. Fry until crisp and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Stir in any liquid that seeps from the mixture before frying the next batch. [I often make the pancakes larger, using a serving spoon from my flatware set.]

8. Transfer to paper towels to drain briefly, then keep warm in a 200°F oven while you cook remaining pancakes. Serve hot.

9. Menu ideas: Serve the potato pancakes hot, with unsweetened applesauce, bratwurst, knackwurst, smoked or Italian sausage, sauerkraut, tossed green salad with a vinaigrette dressing (we especially like a simple salad of butter [Boston] lettuce, a little finely minced onion or shallot, and lightly dressed with a mild vinaigrette of half canola/half olive oil or all canola oil.)

10. To freeze, layer the pancakes on a cookie sheet with plastic wrap between the layers; freeze. Then place them in a container or a doubled plastic freezer bag, or wrap in plastic wrap then foil.

11. To reheat, place frozen pancakes in one layer on a foil-lined baking sheet; bake at 500°F until hot and crisp, about 5–8 minutes. Be careful; do not overheat them during the rewarming stage.

Rita

Edit: Only spell-checking and formatting

Back