Cutting wood into chunks

yup.

021193040-01_th.jpg

this is what I use.

I used the same thing,with a standard 40T blade. If it kicks back or binds,just use less pressure and let the saw do the work.

Chips burn too quick anyway.:cool:

Seriously , I have a big clunky table saw in my basement. I can take one big split log and make it into a whole bag of chunks like you get at HD (for about 9 bucks). This way costs me zip.

Last edited:
Just start it so the saw blade doesn't hit an edge first and you should be fine. Wear a glove on the hand holding the wood, I lost a large chunk of skin and quite a bit of blood when the split spun on me once when the blade grabbed.

I use a sawzall with a pruning blade, or my handheld bow saw.
Using a miter box to cut an irregular shape not held against the fence or table squarely is an accident waiting to happen.

Tim

Make Sure Wood Is Against Fence.

Easier said than done with an irregular shape like a limb. A miter box forces (with the downward motion and blade rotation) the waste piece towards the table (bottom) and the fence (back).
If you have a slight crown up or towards you,than you stand a good chance of getting a kick-back. Not a big deal if you don't mind ruining a perfectly good tool not designed for using it for that purpose.
You can take one to the face or body, your call, but I personally wouldn't recommend using one for that purpose to anybody.
I'm a Carpenter and run a miter box all day, and have three personal ones in my garage, and I would never, ever use one for cutting limbs.

Tim

I also use a chop saw to cut pieces into rounds that are about 2 inches thick. I then but the pieces on a concrete floor (my garage), place a hatchet on the blocks and split the blovks by hitting the hatchet with a rubber mallet. This lets me control the size of the chunks.
Ray

Agree with timothy.
A bow saw or a Sawzall with a pruning blade would be the safest way to do this.

I'm also a carp.

Nothing should go on a chop saw that isn't already machined (straight) on at least 2 sides...the one down on the table and the one back against the fence.

I use a band saw for cutting splits into chunks. Even that is not ideal. Irregular surfaces and powerful stationary machinery don't mix well. The reciprocating saw (Sawzall) is a safe method, but time consuming.

Having used a lot of cordless tools, I have to wonder what the battery life of that would be, but...if they have a good battery design, it looks like a very safe option for those who aren't experienced with chainsaws.

Back