What to do with banana peppers?

Kevin-kevdawg

TVWBB Member
Hello everyone, I am looking for any and all recipes and/or ideas on what to do with banana peppers. We are gonna end up with a bunch and plan on doing something with them soon. We are picking them and putting them in the freezer as we go, just today I picked 9 one gallon bags full. We will make hot pepper butter/mustard and something my G/F makes which is tomato based with califlower,onions and peppers which is great. I remember my aunt used to do weiner stuffed banana peppers, but I'm not sure how she did them or if the were canned. The two things we have planned, we just give a hot water bath. I am looking for any outstanding recipes you love as well as suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Kevin, You could make some pepper relish out of some of them. Here's a link that might be of some use to you. There's a pickle relish recipe in this link, just sub the banana peppers for the reg peppers. HTH Pickles link

I wouldn't go the boiling or hot water bath route as they'll just get mushy. A flavorful room-temp brine, sweetened or not (or do a few versions) poured over the cleaned peppers, cut into rings, say, for sandwiches, then fridged for a week before use (they'll keep for months in the frisge), would be the route I'd go for some of them anyway.

They can be stuffed. For something like banana peppers I'm not about cooking them long, as one might with more subtantial peppers, as they get too soft too quickly, imo. I prefer to stuff them with cooked ingredients (sausage, cheese, breadcrumbs, some uncooked egg for binder), brown them quickly and lightly in evoo, then plate and stick in the oven till heated through well. Sauce and serve with some cheese sprinkled on.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
I wouldn't go the boiling or hot water bath route as they'll just get mushy.
Couldn't agree more with you on that. Even with Japs they just turn to mush if you pressure can or water bath them. I just like to get the brine to a low simmer and pour it into the jars with the peppers. Pull out a lid from the hot water pan on the stove, put the ring on and be done with it.

Yup - definitely "pickle" some. I would try some hot, some sweet.

Pickled Banana Peppers are great to jazz-up a grilled sandwich / sub.

If you find a recipe that you like, home-made stuff like that makes great gifts.

Back