Pork Tenderloin and Pineapple?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
My wife came home with a nice tenderloin and a fresh pineapple among the other groceries. I thought the two would work well together. Any recipes out there for my first cook on my new Genesis?

Try this tapas recipe from a while back. Simply replace the mango and grapes with the pineapple. Make the skewers more substantial if serving as a main course.

(Note: Do not marinate the pork along with the pineapple whatever recipe you use. Fresh pineapple or fresh juice contains enzymes that will denature the pork proteins. The pineapple needs to be cooked or the juice pasteurized first if using in a marinade.)

That sounds really good Kevin but I have a couple of problems. Fist, what is fenugreek and can I use a substitute? Second, I don't have any aleppo pepper but I have four or five other kinds of chile powder? Can I use one of those (I can see you rolling your eyes). Sorry.

I am NOT rolling my eyes.
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_smile.gif

Sub 2 t of maple syrup for the fenugreek.

Sub a blend of guajillo and ancho, 3:1, for the Aleppo.

(Fenugreek is a hard seed. (The leaves are also used for some things but are not widely available.) It is often available only ground. It is a key component in many curry blends and in northeast and east African spice blends.)

Those I have
icon_biggrin.gif
. It sounds like a plan. If it a key component in curry blends, would a little curry powder in the marinade work?

One more question Kevin. You say NOT to marinate the pork with the fresh pineapple but the recipe says to marinate the pork with the FRESH SQUEEZE orange juice. Isn't that the same thing as fresh pineapple?

Not at all. Orange juice, like other citrus juices, is acidic. Pineapple is enzymatic. Though acids will also denature proteins, the sweet o.j. in this, coupled with the oil, is not so potent that it's a concern (as long as the marinating time isn't over-the-top). The enzymes in fresh pineapple work pretty quickly.

Back