Any Good Ideas

S.M. Swanny

TVWBB Member
I trimmed up a bunch of spares last night. Any good ideas on what to do with the meat I took off the back side of the ribs?

I would like to make some sort of appetizer out of it if nothing else than rubbing it or marinading it and then putting it on the grill.

Thanks.

Steve

SM... I would include the trimmings in your smoker. They will be done before the slabs so you will have some munchies beforehand! Good luck...

joe

Hi S.M.,

Make sausage--either fresh Italian or fresh breakfast sausage:

Coarse_Grind_01.jpg

Sausage_Patties_01.jpg

Sausage_Patties_Cooked_01.jpg

###

I take the pieces and smoke them with the Ribs(3-2-1)meth. They will cook faster but I have left them in the hole time and they came out very good too. Because I foil for 2 hours they will be tender. I like a wet sauce. So when they are done I put them in a sternal pan and mix it up well with a diffenet bbq sauce than the ribs,for a differnent taste. I made them on the 4th for a big party and people love them. They even wanted doggy bag to go home with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave L.:
Hey D.L., do you have a sausage recipe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave, this is the breakfast sausage recipe I use:

This makes sausage "somewhat akin" to Jimmy Dean's hot pork sausage. After trying the recipe using these quantities, you could adjust it, if necessary, the next time you make sausage.

I use the following for each 1 pound of pork. If, for instance, you have 3-1/2 lbs of pork, multiply the seasonings by 3.5. If you have five pounds of pork, multiply the seasonings by 5. Etc.

1.0 teaspoon salt
0.5 teaspoon cayenne pepper
0.75 teaspoon rubbed sage
0.25 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
0.25 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
0.25 teaspoon coriander
0.25 teaspoon Accent (MSG)

The sausage can be as lean or fatty as you would like. I make mine about 85% lean and 15% fat--by guesstimation. Commercial sausage is often more fatty than mine.

Cold meat grinds easier than warm meat--especially the fat portion. I grind the meat once using a grinding plate with holes about 3/8" in diameter. Then, I add the seasonings and mix the seasonings into the meat until they are uniformly distributed. I chill this and grind it once more through the same grinding plate. To me, this gives a great texture to the sausage.

Plates_01.JPG

Make sure your herbs, spices and seasonings aren't old. Old herbs, spices and seasonings have lost the volatile components that you enjoy. Simply adding more of an old herb, spice or seasoning won't ever make up for the lost volatiles. Every time I open a herb, spice or seasoning, I date the container so I know how long I've been using it.

I'm still in search of an Italian sausage recipe that I really, really like. If you want, I could post the recipe I've used most, but find somewhat lacking.

###

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave L.:
Sounds good D.L. Is the msg necessary and what does it do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh no! MSG! You can find some information here. I buy Ac'cent Flavor Enhancer

Like just about anything, you can find folks who believe MSG is one of the most vile and deadly substances on earth. Some folks simply think it's a flavor enhancer--it's been used for thousands of years. No matter which opinion one has, it often brings about unwinnable confrontation with the opposite view.

Use it or not. Is it required for good flavor? I don't know--I've always used it. Tastes pretty good to me. No nasty health problems for us.

###

Back