Thermapen Open box Sale

Looked at the website and see they offer an infrared pocket sized thermometer. Anyone have one of these and if so how do you like it? I like the idea of not having to poke a hole in the meat or having to clean the probe afterwords. Let me know your thoughts on infrared!

After thinking about the infrared thermometer again I realized it would only give me the surface temperature and that isn't what I want, so back to the probe.

Placed order earlier today... Got order confirmation e-mail immediately(automated) and then two e-mails 19 minutes later with shipping confirmation and FedEx tracking information. I've seen comments on how good their customer service is, and this kind of turnaround seems to support that. For $2.99 shipping and no expedited special handling I'd say that's pretty awesome fulfillment.

Dale.. Thanks for posting this. I've been ready to get one of these for a while now, got a red backlit version, silicone boot, and "time stick"(probably silly to spend 25 on the timer, but justified with the 24 saved on the open-box savings on the pen.

Anyone else have experience with their open-box items? I don't care if the box is damaged, or even cosmetic issue with the pen, just hope it's 100% where it counts. Coming with the full warranty eased my concerns there.

Steve, I think you answered your own question there, but I've got a question I was hoping someone might know. I was considering getting an IR thermo to check grill/surface temperature when grilling steaks. Get some idea how hot me sear grate hot-zone is vs wow cool the safe warm-zone is. Has anyone used one for this? Anyone have a brand or model to suggest?

As always, thanks to everyone for the great information and feedback on here!

I have been trying to convince myself to order one of these for a while now so this offer was the last straw. I went ahead and ordered a blue backlit model. I think I got lucky because I had the shopping cart tab open all weekend and placed the order on Monday. After I placed the order I went back to the offer page and it said "SOLD OUT" on the backlit models but thankfully I got confirmation and tracking info almost immediately after placing the order. I'm excited, it's supposed to be here Friday!

I have been trying to convince myself to order one of these for a while now so this offer was the last straw. I went ahead and ordered a blue backlit model. I think I got lucky because I had the shopping cart tab open all weekend and placed the order on Monday. After I placed the order I went back to the offer page and it said "SOLD OUT" on the backlit models but thankfully I got confirmation and tracking info almost immediately after placing the order. I'm excited, it's supposed to be here Friday!
The backlit model is a good move. I bought mine without it because I didn't think I would need it but I do need it all the time. :(

I got mine in the mail yesterday and was surprised. It is a monster in person. I bought the boot with magnets an it works good enough, and the leather wallet, at first it felt a little cheap,to soft and flimsy. But the more I played with it I changed mind to think the soft leather would be what people called "calf leather". All happy here.

Last edited:
Open box beige ones are faster. :)

Got that last open box sale and haven't looked back. Like New!

Mine arrived yesterday. It looks brand new. The folding probe is tight and it is functioning perfectly.

Received an email this morning that the sale will end soon. If anyone wants a non-backlit Thermapen they are still available in 9 colors.
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_open_box_sale_jan_2014.html

To get notifications of their sales and new products sign up for their email list. The box to sign up is on the lower left of the home page. They do not spam or sell your email address.

Mine also arrived yesterday. If it didn't have an "open box" sticker on it Ibwould never know. Used it last night on some split chicken breasts. Worked great. Very, pleased.seems like a quality item.

Back