small chunk of brisket ? first try

AL. T

TVWBB Member
I just want to feed 2 people, and I have never tried brisket. what ? if any , is the best way to cook a small chunk of brisket? would it be worth my time to cut one in half and cook half ? if so, whats the best way? high heat or low ?,thanks,,,,,AL

Al - I did a 3.5 lb flat today - a bit much for two people, but there are always ways to use the leftovers.

I did a slather paste of mustard, worchestershire (how do you spell that?), a bit of EVOO and Neely's rub recipe, then added salt and pepper. I let that sit overnight in the fridge, then put the brisket out to sit while I prepped the WSM.

I cooked it from 8:00 till about 3:00 then put it in a foil pan and covered with foil when it was about 165, pulled it at about 4:30 when it was at about 204 and the temp probe went in easily. I rested in foil for another hour till I sliced it for dinner. I cooked it at 225 - 250 using Blue Bag K and a couple of small chunks each of oak, hickory and pecan wood.

It was delicious - moist and tender. I would probably omit or cut way back on the EVOO to see if I could boost the bark.

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">worchestershire (how do you spell that?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's 3 syllables, accented on the first -- WORCE-ter-sheer. The first r is silent,or almost so; the o is elided so that it's clipped. Spelled Worcestershire. [/pedantics]

Skip the oil. It's not adding anything. Sounds tasty enough.

Back