Cast Iron Dutch Oven

Robert T

TVWBB Guru
image_zpsb9eecea6.jpg

Wanted to tell the story behind this Dutch oven. Anyone who has seen my posts knows I use it quite often.

My grandpa came to America in the 20's from Spain and meandered to Idaho to become the camp cook in a sheepherder camp. They camped out for long periods of time as a way of life. Can you imagine cooking all meals on an open fire daily? As is true of most Basque men he was a terrific cook.

I asked my mom if she could verify whether this Dutch oven was one from the camp days. She said she didn't know but doubted it. Needless to say it is very old and no doubt saw countless tremendous meals before I received it after his death in the 80's.

The bottom is almost worn smooth but you can barely see "Round Roaster" stamped into the iron.

Whatever was affixed to the lid so you can lift it was long gone by the time I got it. This makes it an adventure to stir stuff and check on things by lifting that little piece of metal on top, especially when it's been on the charcoal for a while. But I love using it and it's a connection I treasure.

Since 1997 I have collected vintage cast iron cookware. Your Dutch oven was made by the Wagner Manufacturing Company in Sidney Ohio. Circa: 1925-1935. The whistle top knob has been broken off.

I have a #6 just like it. Love mine too. Will take a picture so you can see what the top knob looks like.

Frank

Bill, thank you so much for that info. It really means a lot to me. It's amazing the people you come across on this website. Thanks again ,

Frank, if you've got a picture I would love it.

Robert

Wagner Mfg. Co.made Dutch oven sizes from a #6 through #11. Griswold Mfg. Co made Dutch ovens with sizes #6 through #13. I have a Griswold #13 in my collection and it is one huge Dutch oven.
I have a #6 just like it. Love mine too. Will take a picture so you can see what the top knob looks like.

Frank

Last edited:
you could weld something onto the lid to make it easier to open, or maybe drill through that knob.... cool story & piece though. CI is becoming my favorite cookware, other than maybe my 8qt stock pot.

Cool old dutch oven, I love mine, I think I have five and I have given a couple away to family.Why don't you grind it off flat then drill thru the stem and run a brass screw thru the hole to a knob, welding and old cast iron sometimes isn't a good mix.

Back