What to do with these chile peppers?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
I just came back from the local store and bought a few different dried chile peppers. I want to make a rub with either some or all of them but I am not sure of the proportions to use. Here is what I bought.
Ground Arbol
Negro
Guajillo
Pasilla
New Mexico(It didn't say mild or hot).
Each bag is 2.5 or 3.0 ounces
I could use some help. Thanks

I normally add one to three peppers to all of my rubs. Depending on the heat level of course. Most of those are nice and mild (not the arbol). So for quantity wise I add 1 - 3 peppers for a batch of rub for one meal (i.e. if I'm doing a couple tenderloins or about 6 chicken thights, that kind of thing). They are also really good if you toss them in some rice with chicken stock, garlice and so forth.

I hope this made a little sense at least!

Clark

Ancho is mild (it is the dried version of poblano chiles). The guajillo can range from (usually) not-quite-mild to the low end of medium, most often in the middle of that, I find. Pasillas are the dried versions of chilaca chilies. They are mild but flavorful and used especially in moles. Negros can be pasillas, a type of pasilla, or another type of chile, depending on where they are from.

New Mexico chiles range from mild to very hot, the majority ranging from mild to the low end of medium.

Mix a little softened butter with some oil (I use unsalted butter and olive but use whatever is at hand) about a 50-50 mix, totaling roughly 2 tablespoons. Divide the mix into four (just separate onto large soup or stirring spoons) then sprinkle well with each each of the chilies, powdered, separately, except the chile de árbol, mix in with a smaller spoon (wiping the spoon well before mixing each or using a separate mixing spoon), and allow to sit a few minutes while you stick a slice of plain bread in the toaster.

When the bread is lightly toasted immediately remove it, cut into quarters, then immediately spoon the mixture onto each piece and sprinkle lightly with salt. (You want the heat from the bread to volatize the chilies' flavors.)

Taste the pasilla, then negro, then guajillo, then NM. If you wish rinse your mouth with club soda or seltzer in between -- or you can do the tastings more separated by time, prepping the butter-oil mix in smaller quantities and simply toasting a small piece of bread for each tasting.

You should get a sense of the flavors this way. The pasilla and probably the negro should be deeper, with deeper fruit notes and a kind of richness (ancho is similar but lighter in flavor yet still rich); the guajillo should be kind of tangy, with tart berry notes, but with a warmth of ripe tomato; the NM is dependent on strain/variety and ripeness but will likely be lighter in flavor. Heat can vary, as noted.

The chile de árbol is not necessary to taste this way but you can. It should have good heat, similar to cayenne, but with better flavor.

Proportions in rubs depends on rub type and what you are using it on. For deeper chile flavor go with the deeper flavored chilies with, perhaps, some guajillo for a little zing. Add the c de a for heat after mixing the other chilies. This sort of rub is good for low/slow. For something grilled quickly -- steak, say -- I like something a bit brighter from the get-go since the caramelizetion of the steak's surface will automatically add depth. For something like this I'll often go with all guajillo or mostly guajillo with just a touch of, say, pasilla and c de a added.

Play with the proportions. Don't make too much rub at once so you can vary amounts and/or leave things out. You'll discover what you like and in what applications as you go along.

i could be off here and I bet KK could help.. but I think dry I like them better. Im not much of a cook but the anchos I grew last year kind of tasted a bit yuck in anything I chopped and put it in (which could just be the "cook"). I thought there mild and fruity (or however you wish to describe) would go w/ certain things well, esp. fresh like that. I may have used to much or something but I didn't think so?.. But when dried/smoke dried/whatever there smell and taste is just delicious. Strange...
Bells and Banana's nice and crisp raw or cooked w/ something I really like along w/ hot and spicy. Those described above I've mostly only experienced dry except the pablano and a type of New Mexican.. no guarantee it was the same thing, my guess is probably not. I look and read and seems to be ALL KINDS. All peppers are great but I'de admit to not exactly knowing really specific tastes or info. for each. Like I said its funny that i'de rather bite into a Serrano raw then a pablano/ancho any day.. blaaa.
icon_biggrin.gif
Drying does something to them I like better.. lol.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try tasting them with toast and butter like Kevin said. My goal is to get away from the "normal" rub flavor....for lack of a better word and go for a "chile" flavor rub. This is going to be mainly for ribs but also probably on other meats using lower end temperatures. Maybe sprinkle it on seafood. I want some heat but not overpowering. I bought the arbol only because it was the only bag they had so I'll find something to use it on. If I can add a pinch of it in the rub without making it too hot, I'll do it. This is the recipe I was thinking about.

3 Tbls. Pasilla
3 Tbls. Negro
2 Tbls. Ancho
1 Tbls. Guajillo
1/4 cup Turbinado
2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
2 Tsp. Onion Powder
1 Tsp. Celery Seed (crushed)
1 Tsp. Sage
1 Tsp. Tyme
1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp. Ground Ginger
I wasn't sure if I should add some black pepper. I always salt the meat first then add the rub.
Any comments would be more than welcomed.

Personally I'd go with 1/2 tsp celery, but that's my taste. I think your mix is a good starting point.

I think you will find the interplay of the chile flavor with that of the cinnamon and sage very pleasant. I do. Another herb that works well with chile and cinnamon is bay. (Grind it into a powder first.) If you want to give it a shot, cut the celery to 1/8-1/4 tsp and add 1/2 tsp powdered bay. You can keep the thyme as is or cut it to 1/2 tsp -- either way. Leave the sage as is.

On the pepper: If using high quality peppercorns that you will grind at the last moment, then I would add it (it is my taste anyway). Skip measuring; just crank the peppermill a turn or two over the mixed rub then mix it in. If already ground pepper is what is at hand I'd likely not bother.

On the cinnamon and ginger: If from the supermarket and of typical quality then you are probably okay eith those amounts, If from, say, Penzey's (or another quality spice merchant) then I would suggest cutting the cinnamon to 1/4 tsp at first mix, and the ginger to 1/8 tp at first mix, then making adjustments, if necessary, either after mixing or after tasting when the meat is done. High quality spices and aromatics can have flavors that are stronger/richer/fuller than those of lower quality and/or those that have been sitting in a distribution center for a time; especially noteworthy are cinnamon, ginger, allspice, clove, cardamom, nutmeg and mace.

Thanks Kevin, those are good suggestions. I'm going to start toasting and drying the chile pods today. I can't wait to try them out.

On a second note. In the same store that I bought the chiles they also had whole dried shrimp. They were big ones which I think are prawns. There were about a half to dozen to the bag. What would you use them for? This store has a lot of things for the hispanic martket.

They are used in a variety of world cuisines, especially those of the southeast Asia (Vietnamese and Thai), in some coastal African cuisines, in regional Brazilian cuisine and in regonal cuisines of Mexico, especially the state of Michoacan. They are often pestles to grind and used to flavor sauce or stocks, or used to make stock. In many spots in Mexico they are used to make shrimp cakes, a potato-based cake that includes shrimp powder (made from large dried shrimp that one toasts first), nopales (cactus pads), romeritos (a tart Mexican herb), for a dish also called 'romeritos'.

I told my wife they might be used for stock. It might be worth picking up a few bag and making something out of them.

I generally gently toast dried chilies in a cast iron pan to bring out the flavor a bit, then cool them and grind them for my rubs.

Dave, I like to have whole dried chiles on hand. On thing I love to do with them is to steep 2-3 in hot water for 10 min or so to soften them up. About a min or so before you plan to strain them out, toss a chopped clove of garlic into the hot water. Strain the garlic and chiles and put the solids into a blender with a small can of tomato sauce. after pureeing, add a bit of diced onion and you have a great salsa.

its great on eggs.

j, that's a great idea. I suppose you can do the same thing for pasta sauce? I wonder if you can stuff them with something after being softened up and eat them kind of like a stuffed bell pepper.

Back