Thermometer,injector and dual probe advice needed and other toys.

Dale Nichols

TVWBB Super Fan
I got some money for Christmas (we still say that at my house) :)and was told get some toys.Yeah!

All suggestions are welcome so don't be shy.Here are some things I could upgrade.

1.Is injecting worth it? I was looking at Bayou Classic stainless types,BDI(best dam injector) and Dial-O-Matic,Spitjack pistol grip types.

2.Thermometers, Thermapen or CDN DTQ45OX ect....How good is good enough.

3.Dual probe alarms.I have the ET73 still works half the time.

Tell me what you would get.The cool factor counts!

Thanks,Dale

1) I do like injecting at times and made 2 turkeys for Xmas dinner. One was brined and the other was injected (off the shelf grocery store marinade) I'm just using a $5 plastic injector and it works really good. But, you need to have liquid to inject. Spices plug the ports and I gotta go through the process of screening the marinade. Maybe a better injector will have larger ports?

2) People with the Thermapen swear by it. It's on my 'wish list' but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Maybe I'll take the Christmas funds and finally order one the next time they run a sale. :)

3) I'm using the ET-732 w/ the 6 foot probes (after both 3' probes died) When it works, it's an awesome device. Maverick recently released the ET-733, but I don't know much about it.

Let us know what you decide.

1. I have the spitjack and absolutely love that thing. I've had mine a few years and believe it cost me around $60.

2. Love the thermapen, it probably one of three best kitchen gadgets I own. I think they make a model with a backlit display now.

3. I have the old et73 and I honestly don't think I've ever change the batteries in the unit. It works great for me. I have Cyberq for my primo oval. I've only used it twice and I was very impressed with it.

I'm basically a rookie, so don't have expert opinion, but here's my $0.02:

Injector... Bought this one for $25. Have tried it a couple of times, not sure I can tell a difference. Think I do better brining birds and marinating four legged entrees. This is nice heavy duty SS, good tight screwed on cap, two needles, one with one big exit ole, other wih several small holes all the way down the shaft. One with he small ones would require completely thin, watery liquid. Sorry, not much help here.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00DLWOCVC/tvwb-20

Thermapen vs lower priced imitations? I'm stuck on that one too. I'm at the "paralysis by analysis" point on that one. The CDN ones looks good, but have read a few not so great reviews. Will probably break down and get a Thermapen, but not in a huge hurry, so may hope for a SALE somewhere. The Thermapen seems to be universally loved, with only downside being the price. Think I'd rather drop 100 on something that should be top shelf with no concerns, opposed to 60-70 for similar product that might not be up to snuff. Grandpa always told me "if you're gonna be a bear, might as well be a grizzly"... Translates to "go big or go home"... Or "can't run with the big dogs, stay n the porch".

Remote-dual-prope thermo? Timing for me being in this market coincided with Maverick coming out with th ET-733. So I didn't have the dilemma of already having a 732 conflicting factor of getting the 733. I've used the Maverick about ten times maybe, and love it. I'm still learning to control my temperature, but can't imagine doing it without the Maverick. I'd recommend the 733 to anyone in the market. I read and read and read on this site, Amazon reviews, etc... And Maverick always came out highly rated. Only complaints that I read were people that didn't like unscrewing the battery compartment to install or replace batteries. I just don't see it as that big of a negative, as infrequently as you'll need to do it. I'm sure the screwed down lid seals better than a clip/slide in kind, but I suppose the screw could be bigger and easier to deal with.

In any case, you're in he right place to gather information, opinions and advice. The collective wealth of knowledge and experience on here is an incredible resource. I'm still feeling my way through most cooks, but have learned a ton from the good people here.

Well here is a update, I went with the Dial-O-Matic #13304 injector with three needles $54.98 shipped. I also got a Victornox Fornsher # 40513 six inch boning knife for $21.89.
This was rated #1 by Cooks Illustrated.

Thermapen has a sale on now and I think the Backlit would be nice but $112.00 plus a silicone boot and case would be like $130.00. That one is hard to swallow.

I would post links but do not know how. (Hint)

Thermopens are great, but try one of their pocket digitals to start out till you have a handle on what you want. Fast accurate and cheap.

I guess I'm neither a grizzly nor a big dog 'cause I have an inexpensive injector which I use - quite satisfactorily - about one a year; I have a CDN probe thermometer; and I have a Maverick ET-73 dual probe with probes that are 5 or 6 foot long.

All of these work quite well for me. I find the old Maverick a bit fussy but it has not failed me yet. The CDN calibrates well using the boiling water and ice water tests.

I will probably replace the ET-73 with whatever the latest and greatest is from Maverick when it dies, but I see no reason to do so until then.

I would really like to have a Thermapen just like I'd like to have a new Mercedes, but it ain't gonna happen for this retiree.

Back