18.5 or 22.5?

elmo

TVWBB Fan
Hey guys,

as i am still waiting for proper replacement parts for my new 18.5 defective WSM that i bought last summer, i decided i have been waiting long enough and will go ahead and buy a new model one with the thermometer. I dont want to waste another summer waiting for parts.

So now that there are two different models to choose from, the 18.5 or the 22.5. I cant make up my mind which one to get.

I know that once i get the replacement parts for the old model 2820 that i have, i will sell it and not keep it.

For you guys who have both the 18.5 and 22.5, which one would you recommend?

I am leaning towards the 18.5 as i am afraid the 22.5 will waste more charcoal, but i am not sure if the extra space will be worth it in the 22.5 and if i will ever use it.

Which one would you get if you were getting one?

i'd say get the 22. my 18 was just a few weeks old when they announced the 22 last august.i showed a lot of restraint waiting til after christmas to get the big one. a friend from work has the 18 now. yes the 22 costs more and uses more fuel but i like the extra room. for ribs, big packers, giant chuck rolls not having to worry about being too close to the edge where the meat would burn is nice. only problem ive had is i cant find a clay saucer for it.

hey Tim, since you have both sizes, can you tell me how much more fuel the 22.5 uses over the 18.5 one? and what is a clay saucer?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmo:
and what is a clay saucer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Clay saucer mod thread

thanks Bryan S, now i know what a clay saucer is
icon_smile.gif

Any one knows the difference in charcoal consuption between the 18.5 and 22.5 WSM please?

thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmo:
thanks Bryan S, now i know what a clay saucer is
icon_smile.gif

Any one knows the difference in charcoal consuption between the 18.5 and 22.5 WSM please?

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have both a 18 and a 22.

when using a heatsink the only real difference is the amount of heatsink you use. the water pan on the 22 is much largerthan the 18. so if you use 2 gallons in one and 1 gallon in the other the one with 2 will use a lot more fuel. if you use the same amount of heat sink the fuel usage is about the same.

i pretty much use the 22 for everything nowadays. with the 18 i use a half bag of kingsford blue for a brisket and the same for the 22. but i dont use a heatsink at all. the heatsink and how large it is, is the real factor on fuel usage.

A heat sink is a term for anything, usually a dense material with mass, that absorbs heat and provides a radiant effect of heat to help maintain a steady temperature during cooking. It will act a little like a temp "shock absorber" that evens out spikes and lulls in heat that your fuel source emits.

Examples are: water in the water pan, sand in the water pan, ceramic briquets in the pan, clay saucers, etc...

Cheers

Back