North Carolina > Reidsville: Short Sugar's Drive-In

JRPfeff

TVWBB Guru
557077_10151558953511646_1443700280_n.jpg

Short Sugar's is another pit on the NCBS Historic Barbecue Trail. This was stop two of three for my wife and I on an August Saturday BBQ binge. We knew we would like Short Sugars as soon as we smelled the heavy smoke both outside & inside the restaurant.

This is their finely chopped pork platter. We also ordered their coarse chop which we preferred. The course chop had bits of bark and a more pronounced smoke flavor than the fine chop. Both were first rate barbecue. I really liked Short Sugar's barbecue sauce, more there than just tomato & vinegar - lots of Worcestershire sauce. I bought a bottle.

578439_10151558954201646_1209027981_n.jpg

The hush puppies at Short Sugar's were also really good.

1186102_10151558954181646_1210622493_n.jpg

Short Sugar's was a great experience. It exceeded expectations and their barbecue lived up to the restaurant's visual appeal.

Wow. I can't believe I missed this post. I grew up in Reidsville and still have many family members living there. I am very familiar with Short Sugar's BBQ. I make it a point to stop by for some every time I return home. I actually was there over the Christmas Holiday. The hotdogs are pretty good as well. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Well….I just finished checking out Short Sugar's web-site. Now I've got to plan a trip that takes me close to Reidsville.

My wife's grandparents lived in Reidsviille (grandmother still does, god bless her) and on one of our many visits my wife introduced me to Short Sugar's thirty years ago. We stop in every trip for lunch.. I have yet to duplicate that vinegar-Worcestershire - molasses (I think) sauce, but I keep trying. We buy a gallon of it every visit - my wife prefers it to anything I make, says it is in her veins from childhood.

Good minced Q there, and the Brunswick stew is pretty darned good too!

Back