Food safe containers

As the link for the items are under FOOD STORAGE CONTAINERS, I see no problem using them to brine in.

As the link for the items are under FOOD STORAGE CONTAINERS, I see no problem using them to brine in.

That's what I would have thought, too. But, usplastics didn't seem to agree. Here is their reply:
"Unfortunately we do not carry the product that you are looking for. Item 53197 is not compatible."

That didn't seem right. So, I contacted Rubbermaid. They told me the buckets weren't recommended for wine making and she specifically stated Apple Juice. Yes. She said "wine". I told her I said brine. She said she understood. I was at work and couldn't really go into it further. So, I just left it at that and figured I see if you guys used these or something similar.

The tech rep at usplastics is still supposed to get back to me with more clarification.

"Acid resistant". Your brine is acidic. I've made beer in green plastic garbage pails for 5 years (brand new ones. Wise guys) with no ill effects. Other than the odd hand tremor and eye twitch ;) I'm good.

IMO, you're good to go.

P.S. apple juice generally has ph of 3 to 4.5. White vinegar is 2.5 . No issues. Use those containers.

Last edited:
Okay. The tech support from USPlastics got back to me. I explained that my brine was 5% acidic (per the label on the vinegar bottle). She said, "I show HDPE is not compatible."

Not all HDPE is created equal. So, her comment left a lot to be desired, IMHO. And, she didn't bother to address the polypropylene Rubbermaid bucket. In reality, it might be safe. Thanks for all of the replies.

I wonder what kind of plastic the vinegar is shipped in?

EDIT: the Rubbermaid bucket is Polypropylene, not Polyethylene

Last edited:

Back