For Chris A - Adjusting procedures for the 22"

TonyD

TVWBB Fan
I'm thinking this one's for Chris A, but anyone can chime in as usual....

All the procedures shown on this site were written for the 18" WSM (I'm assuming). What adjustments should I make since I have the 22"? I'm thinking about stuff like how much charcoal to use for an overnight cook...if the site says to "fill the charcoal ring to overflowing", do I only fill the ring just below the top?

I figure the 22" is new to you too, so nobody probably has this answer yet. But do you have any plans to adjust recipes/procedures in the future to account for the 22"?

Not trying to be picky here, just wondering. Love the site, I've referred to it often as I was selecting the WSM and now as I begin to use it. Thanks for creating TVWB....

This is a difficult question, because each article I've written shows an actual cook on the 18" smoker. Offering specific instructions for the new 22" would mean cooking everything again on the 22", which I don't think I will be doing.

Perhaps over time we will arrive at some common understanding of how to convert 18" methods to the 22". As you say, does "full charcoal ring" in the 18" for an overnight cook = "full charcoal ring" in the 22" for an overnight cook? I guess we'll see.

Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Offering specific instructions for the new 22" would mean cooking everything again on the 22", </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a great excuse to me
icon_smile.gif
I only recently joined the WSM club and already find myself making up excuses to smoke something haha.

On my 22 a full ring of maple leaf briquetts lasted for about 12hrs at 225ish running in temps that were in the mid 30s out.

I did a couple of butts and got 14 hours by using a 22.5 lb bag of K and then adding a little bit more from a second bag to the top. The charcoal ring was rounded off at the top with coal. In the end there was plenty leftover (the extra was unnecessary). Having done 2 overnighters this way my feeling is a single 22.5 bag is perfect for a long cook on the 22. I know Chris had trouble, but I really think this was because his cooker is out of round. My was locked in at 225 all the way through...

Now that the 22's have been out for awhile... have we collected any information on this topic? I've found some difficulties in getting to temp and maintaining anything close when using charcoal volumes prescribed by recipes (presumably from the 18.5).

I'm going to start adding 50% until I hear otherwise.

Thoughts?

what would be considered a "full" charcoal ring on the 22? I probably use about 12 lbs in the basket which would bring it up level with the top of the charcoal ring. Then a weber chimney full of lit on top, that gives me 12-14 hours dependant on weather conditions.

12 lbs for a brisket? I have 21 lbs (an entire bag) going now for an 11 hour smoke. That essentially brought me to the top of the ring, plus a little rounded dome.

I'll have to look when it's done to see how much is left.

I'm just tired of fighting the temperature battle through an entire smoke.

steve one thing to remember, when you fill that ring. be sure that you get in that side door and get some of the old ash out of the way. I noticed that the 22 was steady as can be. until it started to burn down. I took a set of tongs and gave those coals a little shakey shake and as soon as I got some of the ashe out of the way it was smooth sailing the rest of the cook. just my 2 cents

Been cookin on my 18.5 for several years and lovin it.... Gotta add the 22" wsm ta the stable... :) That said...what vent settings are y'all usin for the majic 225 degrees on a standard type day for the 22.5 monster????

Maybe my 22 isn't as tight as most, but for long cooks I usually run at around 0/20%/20%

The 0 is for the vent that's at the back and pain in the bum to adjust, so I generally keep it closed for low and slow.

I also got tired of trying to minimize my fuel usage, so now I just put in more than I need and **** the expense.

Thx for the info Jay, that helped me get started
icon_smile.gif
...'cause my "22" has arrived! I did 6 room temperature racks of St Louis ribs tuesday....3 racks laid FLAT on each grate! Had nice Fl weather for the cook.. 65*, no wind, minor intermittent sprinkles and partially sunny skys
icon_biggrin.gif
I decided to start the 22 as I have my 18, but with more coal....so I loaded 2 heapingchimneys of unlit Kingsford into the charcoal bowl mixing in the equivalent of 4 fist sized chunks of applewood. I covered that with 1 heapingchimney of well-lit (not me, the Kingsford!) and topped with 2 fist sized apple chunks. Next, 1&1/2 gallons boiling water in the pan, all vents wide open, assembled the cooker....20mins (& 2 fingers of Macallan 12 yr old!)later...she's readin' 230* so all lower dampers are adjusted down to approx 50% open...20mins(& yes, 2 fingers of scotch also)later....the clock on the dome reads 240*..so all lower dampers reset to 25% open...an hour into the cook and I'm lookin' at 230-240* stablized
icon_cool.gif
That's how she ran 'til I shut 'er down almost 4 hours later, even after I rotated the food grates midway through the cook....so far, I really dig the 22. The following day I emptied the water pan...approx 1qt left...and shook the ashes off the remaining coal...approx 1 chimney remaining..not too bad. The cooker ran 10-15* hotter and used about a chimney more fuel than the 18 on a similar short cook...not to bad for the first shot, oh and the ribs mmmmmmm
icon_razz.gif

Back