Elk Sirloin Tip Roast: Suggestions?

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
Got two elk sirloin tip roasts and I'd appreciate suggestions on what to do with them.

No experience here cooking elk, they are about 1.5 - 2 lbs each.

I was thinking marinade then rub then hot smoke.

But with what (or what would you do with them)?

Shawn,

I had a chance to hunt Elk back in the early 80's and turned it down .. But, I've heard that Elk is some really good eating and I'd love to see what you come up with for your cook(s).
icon_cool.gif

Bill

I used to brown those in oil, rub, then place on a rack in a pan in a hot (450-500) oven till rare/med-rare - which isn't long.

In a cooker I might oil and rub, smoke quite hot, then go direct to sear/finish; a 15-20 min rest to allow residual cooking to get it where you want is recommended.

I like wine reductions as sauces for elk - white, red or a combo - lightly sweetened, with Montmorency cherries and a little bay and sage, a little Dijon mixed in, mounted with butter. Nice with wilted Napa or white cabbage.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Shawn,

I had a chance to hunt Elk back in the early 80's and turned it down .. But, I've heard that Elk is some really good eating and I'd love to see what you come up with for your cook(s).

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, Ill take some pics.

I'm thinking like wine vinegar, garlic, maybe ginger or clove in the marinade ... then maybe a fresh herb paste like Chris A's herb paste for standing rib roast

but, still open to other ideas

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I used to brown those in oil, rub, then place on a rack in a pan in a hot (450-500) oven till rare/med-rare - which isn't long.

In a cooker I might oil and rub, smoke quite hot, then go direct to sear/finish; a 15-20 min rest to allow residual cooking to get it where you want is recommended.

I like wine reductions as sauces for elk - white, red or a combo - lightly sweetened, with Montmorency cherries and a little bay and sage, a little Dijon mixed in, mounted with butter. Nice with wilted Napa or white cabbage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks Kevin, I was just writing a response to Bill when you responded.

Might combine the sear in oil, post sear and hot cook together by cooking on a hot CI griddle (like 500ºF), near constant turning?

Thanks for the ideas with sauces and flavors to use.

If you go with the above suggestion for cooking then make the paste very tight. With an herb paste I'd go with a little clove - but use a bit of ginger in the paste, not much though, especially if the paste includes rosemary.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Might combine the sear in oil, post sear and hot cook together by cooking on a hot CI griddle (like 500ºF), near constant turning? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That could work. The operative concern is not to take too high by cooking too long, nor to oversear, to avoid toughening the surface.

Back