Horrible first go with the Mini WSM ...

D Adams

Thanks to all the GREAT info here, I built my very own Mini WSM, and am looking forward to putting it to use smokin' some butts!

For the most part, I followed the DIY guide from the main page. The only changes: I lowered the rack to 5" from top, I haven't build a charcoal rack yet, and I didn't use a terra cotta dish as a diffuser. Instead, I'm using a pizza pan.

I wanted to simulate a butt cook, so I was shooting for a temp of 225 - 250 degrees for 8 - 10 hours.

I used minion method with 10 lit coals. Charcoal was stacked in ring around the can as tall as I could get it. Ash can (as described in DIY document) was in place. Upper vent was fully open, never closed. Bottom vent was fully opened until temp hit 200, at which time I closed bottom vent to 50%. Cooker would barely make it to 225 on occasion, and mostly ran 210 - 220. Opening bottom vent completely got me a whopping 260 max temp, which quickly dropped to 240.

I dropped lower vent to 50% and temp again dropped to 210-220, with a spike to 225 every now and then. I left this configuration running and wasn't able to get 4 hours from the load of charcoal.

I know this cooker is capable of much more... what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Yeah, that is WAAAAY off from my results. I've hit over 400 degrees while doing up some High Heat chicken. I've also done an all-day butt cook and had charcoal to spare.

1) what kind of thermometer are you using? You sure it's accurate?
2) Using a pizza pan,,, what size? Pan or stone? How much space is between the sides of the mini and the pizza pan?
3) What's under the pizza pan? Did you cut out the bottom of the pot or drill holes? If you cut it out, what's supporting the pizza pan?
4) Describe your "ash can". Is it possible it's restricting too much airflow to the coals them self?

Yeah, that is WAAAAY off from my results. I've hit over 400 degrees while doing up some High Heat chicken. I've also done an all-day butt cook and had charcoal to spare.

1) what kind of thermometer are you using? You sure it's accurate?
2) Using a pizza pan,,, what size? Pan or stone? How much space is between the sides of the mini and the pizza pan?
3) What's under the pizza pan? Did you cut out the bottom of the pot or drill holes? If you cut it out, what's supporting the pizza pan?
4) Describe your "ash can". Is it possible it's restricting too much airflow to the coals them self?

Thanks for the reply Chad. Here's more info:
1) Thermometer is a Maverick ET-732, and was accurate when checked.
2) Pizza pan is 12", metal. Very thin, $0.97 from Walmart.
3) Pizza pan sits on a 2nd charcoal grate, which rests on the indentation at the bottom of the steamer pot. Bottom of pot was cut out, leaving 1" around edge.
4) Ash can is a large tuna can, 4" wide by 2" tall, with multiple holes drilled near the top (sealed) end of the can.

I'm using Smokey Joe Silver, which I forgot to reference.

Unable to reach operating temps with no meat in the cooker, something's very wrong......either a bad thermometer or diffuser severely restricting heat flow. An empty mini should easily reach temps of 400F.

I think your 12" pizza pan sitting on the ledge is restricting heat flow. Try a 10" pan.

Last edited:
Unable to reach operating temps with no meat in the cooker, something's very wrong......either a bad thermometer or diffuser severely restricting heat flow. An empty mini should easily reach temps of 400F.

I think your 12" pizza pan sitting on the ledge is restricting heat flow. Try a 10" pan.

Thanks George! I'll give it a shot :)

Agree with George and think the 12" pan is too big. You've got a 14" pot, minus the indentation brings it much to close to your 12" pan.
I'm using a 9" pie pan with molded metal handles and I was worried it would be too small. Actually, I'm glad I didn't go bigger as it seems to work perfectly.

Did you have any sort of water pan in there?

Can you explain this one a little better? I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what's going on.

Charcoal was stacked in ring around the can as tall as I could get it.

I have to agree with the above comments. There must be an airflow issue if your temps were staying that low with no meat on the grates... I just did a cook of chicken thighs with a terracotta saucer and was over 300 easily running a wide open bottom vent and starting my minion fire with 10 lit briquettes.

How much space is there between the pizza pan and the lip for the steamer tray? If it's too tight it could be limiting the exhaust and thus the draw of fresh air into the cooker... Don't sweat it though, there isnt a whole lot to these things to go wrong so you'll figure it out ;)

make sure the holes in the ash can at least equal the volume of the lower vent. i usually cook at around 275 + and my lower vent is like 75% shut.
but don't get down about it. it takes many tries to get to were you want to be.
so experiment by changing only one thing at a time so you will know what that change accomplishes.

Last edited:
Hello All I am building my SJ mini WSM and was reading this, wanted to know if DAdams was able to figure out waht went wrong and how he fixed it?

not so far. its a problem that folks don't let us know the fix. but it could be that he is busy and hasn't gotten to it yet.
suggest that you read all the other posts and look at pics to see what works.

I think the guys quickly got to the issue: the setup. As stated MUCH higher temps are achievable in the SJ mini wsm mod. The tuna can goes over the vent holes, the charcoal grate on top of the can in its normal charcoal grate position. The can allows ash drop down around it while still getting air to the fire -- a snorkel so to speak. The second issue was the pizza pan restricting the air flow. I think a 10# pan would have been better than a 12" in his case. ...but there are better ways to do this.

Back