Leanest cuts of beef

Don Fry

TVWBB Super Fan
Our son is on a Paleo (caveman) diet for fitness reasons. Made him a flank steak last evening that was totally awesome, but got me to thinking about what are the leanest cuts of beef. Came across an article from Mayo Clinic that listed the following as extra lean:

Eye of round roast or steak
Sirloin tip side steak
Top round roast and steak
Bottom round roast and steak
Top sirloin steak

Guess for those of us that need that red meat beef fix every now and then, these would be good choices. Flank steak didn't make the extra lean list, but it did make the lean list so it can stay on the menu. :D

IMAG1262_zps44e885e9.jpg

Nothing special about the beans. They are just some locally grown black eye peas taken from our freezer that are cooked in chicken broth. The other veggies were just some cut up leftovers that I had grilled earlier in the week and mixed in with the peas. We absolutely love all the various field peas grown here in Georgia and eat a bunch of them. They are a great alternative at a BBQ instead of baked beans. The advantage of preparing our own field peas over canned beans is obvious because there I know every single thing that goes into them.

Out here, I've tried to switch all my red meat to buffalo and elk to drop a few pounds. The elk is hard to get except out in the mountains, or unless you're a hunter, but the bison (buffalo) is readily available in just about every grocery store. When I want steak, I'll get bison sirloin steaks, marinate them a little in allegro hot and spicy marinade, then do them on the SJS with a few hickory chips - delicious! For elk, I usually make burgers out of the ground round stuff and season them with chiptole adobo sauce. Both always come out very moist, you just cook them for a much shorter time.

Beefalo is lean like buffalo but not as dry, better flavor. Not so easy to find though.

Back