am i cheap???

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
Are most of you guys washing your vacuume storage bags after use or are you just throwing them out? My wife thinks im nuts for washing them.

I throw them away after I use them but I do think its a waste. I'll reuse regular zip lock bags, just depends what was in them.

I see no issue with it. I use my foodsaver all the time, & waste a lot of potential new bags because I'm too lazy to re-use. Pure laziness on my end.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_B:
I don't reuse them, I'm to lazy to clean them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JRPfeff:...I'm from Wisconsin and cheapness is like a disease in this state. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_eek.gif
I'm telling Mom you said that!
icon_razz.gif

I've never tried this, but could you wash out your bag by hand, and then add water and put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. My wife used this method to clean baby bottles when our son was a newborn. She had a special bag that didn't seal 100%. She would then put the bottles in it with some water and nuked it for a couple of minutes. This is essence "steam cleaned" the bottles. Not sure if this would work, but worth a thought.

I re-use once or twice depending on how dirty they are. If they are a PIA to clean they get tossed. I reseal often as well. I.E., I pack individual portions in a bag. Remove a serving or two and reseal.

I often pre-freeze individual serving sizes, wrap in plastic then vac seal. This means the bag is easily re-used without cleaning or a light rinse.

When I heat up something in a bag it depends on how messy it is.

Also when storing something that's dry like nuts, flours, etc I vac them in a larger bag so that I can take out what I need then re-seal.

El cheapo flimsy zip-type sandwich bags work really well too, for portioning foods before vacuuming them in FoodSaver bags. You'll have to puncture the sandwich bag or the seal will pop open while vacuuming. I puncture through the thicker material just below the seal with a push-pin in 2 or 3 spots. To keep liquids from oozing out during vacuuming, I freeze the filled sandwich baggies before vacuuming them in the FoodSaver bag.

If I plan to heat the food in hot water, I'll transfer the food to a freezer-weight Ziploc bag and drop it in the pot. I've never had one melt in 195° water (for pulled pork).

Rita

Corey, I don't consider myself cheap at all but a good steward of my family resources. I teach my children the RRR principles, so I too clean by bags after every use. It takes seconds to clean a bag. I trim them close to the seal when I open them and get a few uses out of them until they get small. My "throw away" criteria is when I cannot get two filet mignon steaks in a bag; then it has no purpose for me and it goes. I've had my FS for 5 years and only had two reasonable orders of bags and rolls. I've saved a ton of money as well as food by taking a few seconds to wash the bags. I'd encourage you to not think of it as cheap to RRR; it is the necessary wave of the future.

The short answer: yes.

The long answer, theres nothing wrong with that. I think its admirable to find ways to save a few dollars any way you can and those bags aren't cheap (I just got a new shipment this week).

I am personally scarred for life from reused plastic bags. My grandmother used to wash her bags (child of the depression ya know). The problem with it though was that she smoked, so over time those reused bags took on a very smokey taste - and not the one we shoot for on our wsm.

You betcha! Just call me diseased.
icon_wink.gif

BTW I buy the ZipVac Universal bags at Menard's. They feel thicker to me, have a larger label area, and are made in the USA. Also they are half the price of the Food Saver brand.

washing your bags out........
so YOUR the guy responsible for our water shortage.......
icon_biggrin.gif

I guess your doing the green thing. but you just need to be carefull what your reusing them for. they are designed to be cut open and resealed. just be certain to separate the bags by there smoke flavors......
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Back