Hi from Derby, UK

Stu Hill

Well hi all,

Been using the forum for the last couple of weeks to start and understand how proper BBQ works.
In the UK a typical BBQ might be a couple of frozen burgers and some sausages that are still raw in the middle but black on the outside cooked on a BBQ during our one week of summer :)

Got a bit of cash so treated myself to a weber smokey mountain 47cm and the weber one touch 67cm .

It's pretty poor weather but over the last few weeks managed to do a great 14lb turkey that was delicious, 2 lots of ribs 1 good one tough...(not long enough cook) and a brisket that was tasty but too dry.

Need to get my head around the different flavours(prefer heat to too sweet personally) and also keeping things moist.

Any advice gladly received :)

Welcome aboard.

ribs: be patient ;) If you can't wait try cooking for a 2-3 hours, foiling them for 1-1.5 hours using steam to soften them, then cooking them some more to tighten them up. Start checking them at about 30 min after the unfoil until a toothpick or temp probe slides in like a hot knife through butter. If you foil them you can add fruit juice, honey, brown sugar, etc to your liking. I use brown sugar, agave nectar, parkay, and tiger sauce on both sides. Don't overdo the foil or they will fall apart.

dry brisket: did you trim the fat cap? If so, try leaving it on cooking fat side up. You can also foil a brisket keeping the juice to poor on top when serving to moisten.

turkey: congrats!

Thanks guys,
Dwain yeh I just rushed the ribs only 3.5 hours total time and think my temp may have dropped a bit low on occasion too.
The brisket wasn't trimmed as it didn't really have much fat on the outside! I'm wondering if the British butcher had already trimmed it!

Hi Stu,

Have any recipes to share?

Looking forward to hearing your input on how the US and UK approach grilling and smoking.

Back