Any Maverick ET-732 Pros around?

Daryl H

I'm having thermometer fits.

At the end of a smoking frenzy last year, I ordered an ET-732. Months later, when the family was finally wanting pulled pork again, I fired up the 18.5" Weber and put in the probes with great expectations. Could not get the receiver to "talk" to transmitter. It was then I realized the (in my opinion far-too-flimsy) warranty was already expired. I put it away, and did the next few rib smokes without trying the Maverick.

In preparation for the big Thanksgiving Turkey Smoke, I got the thermometer out to get it working. Fail! I put in brand new, fresh batteries, but the receiver will NOT power up. I cleaned the battery ends, "spun" them after installation, held the power button for 1, 2, 5, 20 seconds... but NOTHING! Can't think of anything else to try.

Also, the transmitter/thermometer unit has me flummoxed. The meat probe reads accurately at both room temperature and in a cup of boiling water, but the "barbecue" probe reads LLL in the water. Sigh!!!!

Does anyone here happen to have any tips on something else I could try? I know folks here have loved the ET (that's why I bought it), but I'm not a happy customer, at this point!

Thanks,

Daryl

Thanks, Dwain! The Thermoworks is a good looking unit.

I solved one of my problems- operator error! I thought the power switch was labeled start/stop on the receiver, but an unlabeled button turned it on when held down for 4 seconds. Duh.

I think I also proved to my satisfaction that the barbecue probe is faulty, and if a new one solves that portion, I may end up being OK with the Maverick... We'll see, but not in time for Thanksgiving.

I have my good/bad moments with Maverick, too. I finally replaced the probes with the 6-foot ones, which seem sturdier than the original one. If you are buying new probes, you're better off with the 6-footers, even if you don't need the length.

I have a new 732 in the box....had it for 6 months now. I just installed a brass port for the probes...but I gotta say, I'm not sure it is necessary or worth the hassle. I usually jam in a little analog meat therm in my meat, plus the dome thermometer, plus elapsed time, plus a needle probe for doneness, always gets me culinary compliments....I do intend to try the 732 out someday, tho.

Wouldn't do an outdoor cook without it.... Unit has worked great since new.

8202702013_697110cf0f_z.jpg

If you are having problems, I would suggest calling the Maverick office (it's in NJ, I think). They have been very responsive to my inquiries about faulty probes, etc..

I love my Maverick, it makes all the difference for me between disaster and 5 star BBQing/Grilling. I haven't had any problems with it and I really work my equipment, it can't be wimpy and has to do its job. I hope you are able to get it working, it really is a great thermometer. Best to you!

Laura

Thanks, Dwain! The Thermoworks is a good looking unit.

I solved one of my problems- operator error! I thought the power switch was labeled start/stop on the receiver, but an unlabeled button turned it on when held down for 4 seconds. Duh.

I think I also proved to my satisfaction that the barbecue probe is faulty, and if a new one solves that portion, I may end up being OK with the Maverick... We'll see, but not in time for Thanksgiving.

Daryl,

One thing I've learned about my 732 is if the probe electrical connection (at the base unit) is even slightly dirty or greasy I'll get a "HHH" or "LLL" reading. Wipe off with a little Windex to clean. Also, one thing that will kill a probe pronto is water getting into the joint where the cable attaches to the probe. Ask me why I now have two 6' probes. :)

Same. It killed my thermometer before my Maverick. I put the cost towards the Maverick instead of buying a replacement probe (would have been $20). I make sure if I do use water to only use it toward the tip and not where the wire goes into the probe. I also have tons of alcohol wipes. But I also find I rarely use the meat probe anymore, and never have to wash the grate one because it isn't touching anything.

Laura

Back