Butterflied Turkey on WSM W/O Water Pan

Joe Stout

TVWBB Member
I'm not a big fan of slow smoked poultry but I'm having a bunch of people over this year and we need to roast 1 turkey in the oven and do another on the WSM. As I stated I'm not a fan of smoked poultry but I do like grilled chicken so my question is has anyone used the WSM without the water pan and grilled a butterflied turkey over a bed of fully lit coals? I'm thinking the direct heat from a distance could produce more of a grilled bird. Any thoughts or advice from anyone who has tried this before would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you are going to grill, I would suggest pieces to get even cook at higher temps. Or, use the WSM with an empty water pan all vents open to get a roast at 350, don't add wood if you dont want the smoke. Ive done this many times with fine results.

I've not done exactly what you are thinking about however I do know you will have an issue with the drippings. They will create smoke and probably a fire. I would use a dry pan, foiled with an air space to catch the drippings and stop them from burning.

I have cooked what you are suggesting on my kettle indirect and the lower lid clearance helps cook from the top down as well. Easier to cook deep into the thighs that way. You do have to rotate the bird. I kept the drums pointed toward the coals for a larger part of the cook.

Use a dry, foiled water pan and a full chimney of lit charcoal. Let the fire burn for 10 or 15 minutes before putting the bird on to get temps over 300. Then just roast as you would in the oven.

Back