Bringing Brines to a boil

Vinny G

TVWBB Fan
Bringing brines to a boil

Hello all
Haven't bin on for a while. I hope all my old friends are well!!! My question is does bringing a brine to a boil make a diffence. I was searching the net for all types of turkey brines the other day and found this one site that every brine I look at said to boil and then let cool before putting the turkey in. I have used all different brines from the apple, JD, Maple brines but never boiled the mixture up first. It said Boiling the mixture up first makes the brine really come out in the turkey. What do you guys think?
Thanks
Vinny

Last edited:
Not "boil" but heated (180 deg) a portion (@50%) of the brine to help dissolve sugar, honey, salt then added the aromatics (garlic, herbs, citrus, etc.) to steep (think tea) for a bit. Be sure everything is cold before
adding the bird.

Marc
I am going to do that. Not bring it to a boil. I am doing the JD brine again this year. I do the salt and maple then add the JD and oranges. I let you know if I see a difference.

Not "boil" but heated (180 deg) a portion (@50%) of the brine to help dissolve sugar, honey, salt then added the aromatics (garlic, herbs, citrus, etc.) to steep (think tea) for a bit. Be sure everything is cold before
adding the bird.

+1

No need to boil your brine, but you'll get lots more flavor out of your seasonings if you bring it up to a simmer for 10-15 minutes. Be sure to let it cool. If I "tea" a brine or marinade, I put it in the fridge to fully chill it back down.

Thanks Guys. That is exactly what I did. I have to say that simmering the brine smells so good! Just from that its got to be better than just doing it cold. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Happy Thanksgiving!

Back