Paper, plastic, or real plates?!?

RCBaughn

TVWBB Super Fan
I've noticed that quite a few people on here usually serve their food on disposable plates vs. using a glass one. I've never done this before and was wondering if I'm correct in thinking that most of you guys and gals do in fact serve on paper or plastic plates? I can see the appeal for sure in the ease of clean-up, I've just never really thought to try it out walking down the aisle at Wal-Mart. If a lot of peeps can show me a few thought on the advantages vs disadvantages that would be great!

I know that a picture with a paper plate in it SCREAMS backyard grill session or party. The disposable plate may even look better with grilled or smoked food than a fancy fine china plate would. :D Wonder if the plate you use in the TVWBB Throwdown Challenges makes a big difference in how people judge the food and votes. I assume that all barbecue competitions in person are served on disposable plates.

Rob, do you cook dinner AND wash the dishes afterwards...?
If you do, Rich, you may get tired of always washing dishes...
Using paper plates, Ron, is one way to relax a bit after dinner.
;)

Seriuosly Rob, I never notice the plates, I'm always looking at the food. However, I do look for the different types if washing fluid people like to chase it down with. I don't think plating or silverware make a difference IMHO. But to each his own right?

Yep, I always tend to look at the food too and not what it's setting on. How it's on the plate though makes a big difference I guess, especially in pictures. I've had a plate that looks great in real life, but when you snap the picture of it and look at it on the camera it looks only about 25% as good. I still haven't ever got a picture that has turned out as good as the real life food. Guess I need a good camera other than an iPhone.

-Cory

With other BBQ it just depends on who's washing the dishes and for how many, but BRISKET should be served on disposable plates with cheap plastic forks. That's THE test for a jiggly brisket.

For me , the greatest thing about cooking and eating outside is the minimal clean up. I love just dropping the paper plates in the trash , putting the grill away and just relaxing for the rest of the evening. If I had my way , we'd eat thanksgiving dinner off paper plates!

LOL Dave no doubt! If you can't get a fork in it without breaking a thin paper plate it's tough! Too bad my last attempts at brisket would probably break a ceramic dish......

And Frank...... My grandma does Christmas dinner at her house on disposable plates EVERY year! True story.

Rob, do you cook dinner AND wash the dishes afterwards...?
If you do,
Rich, you may get tired of always washing dishes...
Using paper plates,
Ron, is one way to relax a bit after dinner.
sorry Cory... :)

We have reusable plastic plates that get thrown in the dishwasher after dinner. If its a big party,like smoke day,we use paper. If its just Pammi and I ,or us and our best friends,we use the every day plates.

I think for us it usually depends on, first, how wet the food is - we means real plates; secondly, how many guests there are - the more the more likely is paper; and thirdly if we're siotting at the dining table or not - wife *never* has paper at the dr table.

I'm high maintenance and dislike plastic-ware followed by paper plates. If it's a burger & chips, fine. But I always use the real stuff at home.
Tailgate party? Different story.

We use paper all the time. Spend enough time washing the other cookware and don't feel like washing dishes as well. Would rather sit back and enjoy another beer.

I end up make such a mess half the time when I am cooking that a few extra plates doesnt make a difference. Some of the pics with plates on here looked so good I had to go buy a new set to get rid of the flowered ones I got in my d'vorce. I hate flowers, lol

We do both, though living in the Philippines, we sometimes use wooden plates with banana leaves over them. But if you go the paper plate route, get the plastic or metal supports for them. We have the plastic ones here and they support the paper plate so it doesn't fold up if you try and cut something on them or they get a bit soaked. They are a phenomenal time saver in terms of after-the-dinner scullery duty!

I'm not fond of disposable items, and avoid them at all cost. We make way too much garbage as we do. I never use paper/plastic, as long as there are less than let's say twenty guests. I use my dishwasher.

I have a different take. I use paper plates to get the food to and from the grill so I do not have a chance of breaking our good plates. I serve on the good stuff. If we are eating in the dining room (which we do 3 or 4 times a week), the plastic plates just do not seem appropriate.
If I am cooking larger quantities, I take the food from the grill on a larger cookine sheet or broiler pan.
Cleanup is not a problem as we have a very efficient dishwasher.
Ray

I have a different take. I use paper plates to get the food to and from the grill so I do not have a chance of breaking our good plates. I serve on the good stuff. If we are eating in the dining room (which we do 3 or 4 times a week), the plastic plates just do not seem appropriate.
If I am cooking larger quantities, I take the food from the grill on a larger cookine sheet or broiler pan.
Cleanup is not a problem as we have a very efficient dishwasher.
Ray

My wife bought a nice deep BBQ tray that I use to go back an forth from the grill. She has/had a nice oblong china platter for over 20yrs I used to use all the time to bring stuff in. It had deeper sides and no chance of juices running off of it. Unfortunately I had my hands full coming in the door and clipped the door frame and the platter went flying. Concrete patio 1 China platter 0
My wife likes thick paper plates and reg silverware for lots of people as its easier to clean up after and I prefer regular plates. This is usually for non-formal dinners but use all regular plates for a big holiday get together. We do have enough regular plates and silverware to seat 16 people if needed.

The trick to this situation is to use paper plates but put enough food on them that you can't see it's a paper plate. Then drink enough beer that you don't care it's a paper plate!

Back