Calibration of the Dome Temp. Gauge?

Gene Brownson

TVWBB All-Star
Does anyone calibrate their dome temp. gauge on their kettle? I see where people are saying it can be off by as much as 100 deg.
Should I take mine apart and test it?
Also, I've found some replacement gauges at a BBQ store, they are claiming that the 3 they have are more accurate than the original. Would it be wise to replace? I'm looking to do some smoking in my kettle and doing some bacon. I'm sure I need an accurate temp. Or, should I just buy a external one like a maverick?
Thanks for your help, guidance and suggestions.

Last edited:
Thanks Len. I learn something it seems everytime I come on here and ask a question or look around. Obviously I didn't look to hard, I missed this on the homepage.:)

YW. There is sooooooo much info on this site, sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees ;)

The precise temp that the gauge shows is not as important as learning where the dial should be for the best results. I have the gauge turned so it points straight up at its "sweet temp", the temp it will runs best at with the least attention. This temp happens to read about 245-250. Remember that BBQ is an art not a science so play with it and enjoy.

Mike

Mine is spot on when tested, and runs about 15 degrees different than top grate temp, but I don't really pay a lot of attention to it since obtaining the Mav732. On my charbroil I watch the gauge on it, just to be sure I'm around the temp I'm seeking. And yea, as long as it around the target, doesn't seem to make much difference. I cooked for years and years without a gauge or never bothered to cook with it as a guide........but never without a meat probe to check when done................d

Back