MOOSE?

Victor

TVWBB Member
I have been asked by some friends at work to do some moose that another coworker has.I dont have a clue whether to brine it? or just dry rub it, marinate maybe ? Havent done any game meat before.Looking for advice. Also i dont even know what cut of meat it is. Just been told MOOSE! Thanks for any help.

I don't have any advice on Moose, but this is one of my pet peeves about people who give me game...I mean don't they think that I need more than cow or pork to cook something?

Grumbles, but beggars can't be choosers.

I have my best lunch with deer when I brined it, seems like the salt water pushes any leftover blood out of the meat.

I's assume that moose like deer don't have much fat, but I could be wrong.

Good luck with Bullwinkle.

Well I have found out that the meat is a 4-5lb roast still don't know what to do to prepare for this. I just got home from work and meat is in fridge thawing for probly a sat/sun smoke. Do you think just a salt brine will do it? Yes I agree on that moose will be lean like deer.

I remember way back in my early teens that a friend of my Dad gave him some Moose. He sliced it, flour, salt, and pepper, then fried it chicken style. I remember he was like you are and didnt know what to do with it. Success! It was great.
That has been my only Moose experience.

Try looking at some hunting sites. I just did a search and many of the recipes involved using liquid. I have never cooked any type of game but my brother inlaw hunts and get a lot of his recipes from other hunters. Hope that helps.

Here is what i found it is for 8 lb roast I have 4-5 lb. 1/2 cup brandy 1/2 cup olive oil 1/2 tsp liquid garlic 2 tbsp oil 1 small onion sliced 1 small carrot sliced 2 cloves garlic pressed 1 tbsp minced parsley 1tsp dry thyme leaves 3 cup red wine 1 cup water 2 bay leaves. Inject roast with brandy ,oil and garlic mixture useing a flavor injector, saute veggies till soft combine remaining marinade ingrediants when cool marinate for 24 hrs turn at least one time, drain pat dry use marinade with water in smoker drip pan smoke for 7-9 hrs. The recipe I found doesnt say any thing about internal meat temp. Does any one got any ideas I am thinking 185 plus Thank you for your help! Victor opps Almost forgot The recipe is called Brandied Moose Roast

Back