WSM FAIL !!!! Overnighter Lost Temp

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

So, I went to bed at 1am EST with the WSM holding great at 240F. Woke briefly at 5am and it had dropped to 170F on my remote. I (unfortunately) fell back asleep (not by choice)and re-woke at 6:30am with a remote temp of 100F and a lid temp off the charts low. The brisket was 140F internal.

After panicking, I foiled the brisket and popped it in the oven at 235F.

Colour and smell was pretty good.

Should I worry about the brisket from a health perspective? Being beef and over 120F already I don't think I'm in for any bacteria issues?

Can anyone offer their own input from a health perspective to make me feel better?

I'll detail the WSM issues on another thread I have running.

Thanks,

James
icon_frown.gif

James,you should be okay. As you said,it's beef and it only dropped to *140. Assuming you kept the prep area sanitary,you should be fine! HTH and let us know how it turned out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Harvey:

I (unfortunately) fell back asleep (not by choice)and re-woke at 6:30am with a remote temp of 100F </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that's not really a WSM failure is it
icon_razz.gif

Thanks Phil. It's up to 180F now and smells great but the bark is not what I was hoping for given the foling.

Jerry - You're correct. The ultimate mistake was mine. However, I was really hoping to get more than 8 hours out of a full ring using Minion.

Back