Briquette Maker?

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Wonder how this would work?
$(KGrHqZHJB!E+NzWfi6rBQGTSUvtSQ~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Recycle-Pap...tive_Logs_Stone_and_Glass&hash=item20c93a0d79

Looks like it's more suitable for log-shapes but . . . .

I once owned one. Too much work and hassle, you use more time making the logs than watching them burn. I tossed into the bin.

Geir, I had a roller once for the same log-rolling purpose. I could only use one of those paper logs (with the usual wood logs) otherwise it wouldn't burn.

I thought this square one was an improvement but it probably isn't.

For me, and I must add that I have a unlimited supply of free trees, it was just too much work. The instructions goes sorta like this:

- Tear up newspapers or any other non- glossy paper into strips into a large container. Cardbord boxes and such can not be added, just paper close to newspaper.
- Add water, and use one of those large "forks" that you use in your garden to loosen the soil in flower beds and so on to get even smaller pieces of paper. (If you have a decent shredder, I suppose you can save yourself some time) Repeat for several days.
- When the newspapers are reduced into quite small pieces, let' say a coin or so, a paper shlush, scoop up the paper into the briquette maker (MB), and press. Hard. You'll really need to work here, I know by experience. On the other hand, it is a good workout. Watch the ground unerneath the BM, as small bits of paper and lots of water float around.
-Repeat until container is empty.
- Wash container and hose down the area where you have been working.
- Find a place, dry and nice where the briquettes can dry for a long period before you can use them.
- Burn briquettes. Empty the oven for ashes at least every day. These briquettes seems to expand into large amounts of ash.

Now, to sum up, I can make many more calories in the same time with a chainsaw, an axe and a few trees.

Last edited:
You are partly right, of course.
But it is possible to measure firewood/briquettes in calories as well, how much energy you get out of it. As an example, you'll get more calories from a certain amount of oak wood compared to the same amount of spruce. In fact, there is a large difference in how many calories, "watts" or any other way of measuring the energy stored in the wood. Or paper briquettes, for that matter.

You are partly right, of course.
But it is possible to measure firewood/briquettes in calories as well, how much energy you get out of it. As an example, you'll get more calories from a certain amount of oak wood compared to the same amount of spruce. In fact, there is a large difference in how many calories, "watts" or any other way of measuring the energy stored in the wood. Or paper briquettes, for that matter.

There you go, I was only think of the work aspect. But I suppose there could be another dimension too; good smoke on tasty food can also increase calorie intake :rolleyes:

Back