Rubs & Seasonings Storage

Definitely "thanks", Marty!

But I'd like to add another question to this "catchy" thread if you don't mind. I've always heard that spices shouldn't be stored over a long period (a year or a "season" is what I've heard), but then what? And how appropriate is that length of time.

Do folks throw out "old" spices? Put up with degradation and hang on to the bitter end of the "jar"?

What about refrigerating -- does that help preserve them? And how many of you have your collection of spices in the fridge? (And have you noticed that the word "refrigerator" spell-checks correctly as does "fridge", but "refridgerator" is wrong?!! :confused: )

We have some spices that are REALLY old (though much less so since I started grilling/smoking and doing most of the cooking!). I'd kind of like opinions on what to do with them.

In that vein, my mother recently asked me if I TASTED my spices. (The answer was bascially "no".) She said that can help decide whether to keep old spices. Thoughts on that subject also please?

Again, Marty. I hope I'm not carrying off your thread (though of course, I am). I just thought you gave a great tip and also indirectly brought up the question of long-term storage.

Edit: Hey, Marty! I just went back and read your intro thread. Maybe you just leave your spices outside to keep them fresh!? ;) :cool:

Rich

Last edited:
Awesome! Man Bob you are a store house of great info., no wonder you're a hall o famer or as I like to say, grizzled veteran!

Rich,

I throw out the ones that I believe to be too old - but I really do not have a good "system". Perhaps I should date the new spices when I buy them. I also agree that smell and taste are good ways to see if the spices still have their strength.

Ray

Marty, thanks for that great information. The problem now is Kraft will probably find this out from us and change :)

Every time I refill my spice jars (bulk store but not always--sometimes their price is 2-3x what a larger size would be, especially of something I use a lot of (like cayenne) ), I slip a small piece of paper in the jar with the date. If I haven't used it all within 6 mo, it gets refilled and a new paper/date.

I don't think the taste test is a good idea. It would be very concentrated on the tongue ("hey, this is ok") but when mixed with the food, ("hey, did I forget the _ _ _ _?")

I will use the original Parmesan cheese container to shake & then store my rubs, but question: Has anyone come up with a way to label or somehow mark the containers? It would be nice to know for sure (CRS anyone?) :confused: which rub is the hotter recipe, or how old it is.

I store spices that I use in glass jars. Whenever I open a plastic bag, I reseal it with my Foodsaver. I think that really helps. Herbs can not be stored much longer than two years, I think. Much of the aftertaste is gone.

Back