Sous Vide links

thanks for the links, I can't wait to check them out.

here's where I'm at:

1) I'd love to have some kind of PID controller that can control both a water bath and a stoker. I was reading about someone who tried to build their own stoker and it sounded difficult. something about the adaptive learning part of the software is essential for stoker type controllers.

2) for most meat applications accurate temp control isn't as stressed as it was when I initially started looking into sous vide. Seems like now things are skewing towards "low temp" cooking which isn't as strict with vacuum sealing and temp control.

Hmm. Low temp sous vide cooking must be accurate if cooking over time. It's one thing to cook salmon at 104 or 113 till done, then serve. It's another to target, say, 136 for short ribs, , for 36 hours, only achieve 126, and think it'll be safe. It won't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hmm. Low temp sous vide cooking must be accurate if cooking over time. It's one thing to cook salmon at 104 or 113 till done, then serve. It's another to target, say, 136 for short ribs, , for 36 hours, only achieve 126, and think it'll be safe. It won't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry, I was talking the difference between +/- 0.1 and +/- 1. I've been going back on what to do for equipment. Since the current fad is to set the bath slightly higher than your finish temp, I've been moving toward using simpler equipment. But after reading the one diy setup, I'm strongly considering building one this summer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> PID controller that can control both a water bath and a stoker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To control a water bath you would need some type of heater and probably something to circulate the water. For the "stoker" setup, you would just need to connect a fan. The right relay would be the trick.

Yes. Plus or minus 1? is not an issue.

Most of what I do sous vide is confit, so 180 (in a pot on the stove) works fine. For the other, low-temp stuff I use a used lab circulating bath. I find the low-temp cooks worthwhile at times (can be handy in dong some things ahead of time, ice bath post cook essential), and I have fun with it, but am not as taken with it as many are. It's a good tool in the box, but not a be-all, end-all.

Chris A posted this link on another thread about using a beer cooler.
I almost tried it today on a vac sealed 8 oz. prime grade top sirloin steak, but had reservations.
My plan was to then sear over a hot charcoal fire.

Does this method sound safe?
Would it be worth the small extra effort?
TIA

Unless I'm needing to hold (as described in the article) I'm not all that enamored of cooking fish and high quality, tender steaks sous vide. (I do like it for tender lamb and pork though.) That said, sure, give it a whirl. You might feel differently and it's a good thing to learn and play with.

I didn't catch what he does to maintain temp in the cooler. But, yes, as long as water temp is maintained and you don't go excessively long, then you promptly finish and eat, it's quite safe.

Back