* 2 carrots, cut in 2-inch pieces
* 2 celery stalks, cut in 2-inch pieces
* 1 onion, halved
* 1 head garlic, halved horizontally
* 2 turnips, halved
* 4 fresh thyme sprigs
* 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
* 1 bay leaf

I clean and skin the veggies before adding. Cooked everything for about 2 hours or so in a SS stock pot. Removed all solids, strained into a SS bowl and in the fridge to solidify fat. Pulled chicken meat and held seperate, it looks just fine.

Skimmed the fat this morning and the stock is gray/black. Shame - tastes good just won't look so well when I make up the chicken pot pie. Guess I'll toss and use store bought stock.

Just can't figure why things turned black. Used all SS.

huh

never happened to me before ... never used turnip so my guess is turnip

you know how it looks charcoal color on the cut edges if you leave it on the counter for a couple of hours? must be it

funny ancedote ... my mom got a stainless steel steamer juicer when I was still in primary school and went through this crazy juice everything phase ... bananas don't work well for that, the juice came out dark dark grey
yuck.gif

Yeah, weird. Starting over with a quick route using some bought stock. Should be fine, but kind of a waste. Wish I could figure it out so It doesn't happen again.

Ray,

That's an odd one. You're using SS, didn't overcook; in fact I would have cooked longer.

Did you simmer or boil? Stocks should simmer.
You did strain out all the solids, correct?
How did you prep your veggies; did you roast or saute till darkened?
Sometimes adding yellow onion skin will impart a yellow hue to the stock.
This almost sounds like something in your stock oxidized overnight.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
Ray,

That's an odd one. You're using SS, didn't overcook; in fact I would have cooked longer.

Did you simmer or boil? Stocks should simmer.
You did strain out all the solids, correct?
How did you prep your veggies; did you roast or saute till darkened?
Sometimes adding yellow onion skin will impart a yellow hue to the stock.
This almost sounds like something in your stock oxidized overnight.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Simmered. It was stopped, then pulled the chicken and solids, to shred the chicken for the finished pies. Stock was simmered again without the solids to finish.

2. Yes see above. After solids removed it was poured through cheese cloth over a fine strainer (also SS)

3. Did not roast the solids this time.

4. Onions were skinned and cleaned then quartered, did the same with the garlic

5. Yes, trying to figure out what was in the strained, filtered stock that may have caused it to turn color overnight.

Note that I tossed that stock, picked up 32oz of bold chicken stock (from rotisserie chicken) and started over with the veggies only. Stock came out fine and quite tasty actually.

I don't have photos of the finished filling, but basically took 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup butter, made a roux and blended in 8C of chicken stock then added pearl onions, peas, carrots and shredded chicken.

Into small crocks. Topped with pastry with egg wash and a little grated aged parm on each.

Recipe turned out great except for that minor curve ball with the black stock. Some tweaks for next time I may gut the stock back to 4 cups. or increase the amount of roux if I was shooting for the same quantity of liquid.Consistency was like heavy cream of chicken, I tend to like it a little thicker.

ChickenPotPies02122009.jpg

That's a real head scratcher. I have made lots of chicken stock, but never used turnips in it. I have cooked my share of turnip greens with the roots diced up in them, but the stock never turned black. I know that you are not suppose to cook Okra in a cast iron vessel because it will dicolor the Okra, so I'm thinking some sort or electrlitic reaction to something. Are there any Chemist on this forum?

those pot pies look great Ray, never made any but I like the idea to just lay some pastry across the top

not all ss is equal, I know of at least two grades used in fittings ... if they add any carbon to it I think it qualifies as stainless steel but I've seen it rust ... the overnight in ss bowl was probably at least half of the equation

try your turnip stock again but put it in a plastic ice cream pail or the like and I bet it won't go black

I had the same thing happen when I covered a SS bowl with foil.
Seems some condensation formed, which discolored the foil to a grayish color which I guess dripped into the stock.
I dunno, but I used the same bowl with plastic wrap and it turned out fine.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
Seems some condensation formed, which discolored the foil to a grayish color which I guess dripped into the stock.

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I found some info about foil darkening a while ago and posted it .. the info can be found here from Reynolds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I found some info about foil darkening a while ago and posted it .. the info can be found here from Reynolds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Shawn.
That was very helpful.
icon_cool.gif

Tim

Thanks guys. I'm thinking the wild card was the SS bowl. The pots I use have been in use for over 25 years without a problem. The SS stock pot has spent a lot of time in the fridge without affecting the food.

The SS bowl was one my MIL was tossing and asked if I wanted about 2 years ago.

Up to this point I have never stored anything in it, just used it for mixing, etc. It could be a lower grade of SS. Who knows maybe that's why she got rid of it. Will have to ask her next visit.

Back