Smoking Whole Chickens

Ned

I want to use my new WSM to smoke some whole chickens. However, in researching the archives, it seems direct heat is the preferred method. Can a whole chicken be smoked successfully? Recipes and methods will be appreciated. Thank you very much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K McCarthy:
I use this all the time.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second the recipe it works everytime. People always ask me if I brined the chicken it because of how juicy it turns out. I have done 5 chickens (3 to 4 pound average) at a time with this recipe/method.

Not sure how you're planning on serving it, but I threw a couple Coke butt chickens on after my last butt was done (you can see the gunk in the pan from the pig) and just kept an eye on their temps. I was just going to offer pulled chicken in addition to the pork and they came out perfect. The skin would have been inedible, but pulled, the meat was awesome. I just used John Henry's pecan rub. Super simple 200-225 with the leftover coals until they were up to temp.

DSC_0299-1.jpg

Back