Perfect Turkey

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Just another endorsement of a perfect method.

I used the apple juice brine method for my T'giving bird on Saturday.

It turned out perfect!!
icon_biggrin.gif

First time smoking a bird had my wife concerned that it wasn't going to turn out, we needed to have a second meat because no one was going to like it, etc etc.

Eat those words baby, everybody went nuts over it and we polished it off no problem.

The only negative (if you could call it that) was that "it tasted like ham"--used a chunk of apple and a chunk of cherry). But man, it was soooo juicy and flavourful. Perfect smoke ring. MMMM.

One hiccup was that the temp alarm went off telling me the 13 1/2 lb bird was done 1 hr 15 min into the smoke ?!?!

Went out to check and found out why. The probe had been inserted too shallow in the breast. I poked it with my polder and it registered 140 (mav temp was 165).

After re-inserting the mav on more of an angle, it registered 140. Lesson learned.

BTW, the ABT's turned out very tasty but not all that pretty. The bacon took a lot longer than I thought to crisp up and the jap's got pretty shrivelled up. Surprisingly, the bacon kept the jap's moist so they weren't dried out.

I made 4 veggie-style (no bacon for my daughter) and I wouldn't recommend them done like this. No bacon to keep the jap's moist and she ended up just scooping out the cheese and leaving the jap's. Lesson learned.

Altogether, a very successful smoke.

This was a first turkey smoke for me and it went off without a hitch. Three hours for a 13.5lb bird. Can't beat that.

Thanks to the poster(s) who give us all the wonderful recipes. I highly recommend the apple juice brine method for turkey.

Congrats on your turkey cook!

My only guess on the "hammy" taste; did you use an enhanced bird or a natural bird? Sometimes birds that are already injected and then brined can take on a "cured" taste to them.

Back