short ribs on the wsm?

Tim C

TVWBB Super Fan
havent seen many posts about short ribs. wife picked them up.
do they have to be marinated and grilled or can you put on a rub and smoke em.
i'd appreciate any suggestions. thanks

Yes, you can cook them as you would beef ribs (many threads/posts about those) by rubbing and slow smoking. You can also smoke first then braise in foil in the smoker or by adding to a pot of something you've got going on the stove (or in the smoker). In either case, timing depends on cooktemps and how the short ribs were cut.

they were cut thin and wider than ones i had seen before.quite a bit of fat too.
i went ahead and put head country rub on them smoked them for awhile then plopped them in the oven to tender them up. i gnawed on one awhile ago after draining some of the juice off. i think they've got a ways to go but are gonna be pretty good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TIM C:
then plopped them in the oven to tender them up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim, throwing them in the oven will not tender them up. The methods described above by Kevin will help tenderize the ribs. My personal favorite (which happens to be the least amount of work) is to smoke them and then braise them in foil with some liquid in the smoker.

Erik

thanks i'll try that next time if we get these again. i almost put those in the freezer til i found the best way to cook them but decided what the hey.
they turned out pretty good.they were very tender. the bones fell out of some of them when you pick them up.
i probably will stick with st louis style pork ribs. those are more up my alley

I'm looking at ways to cook short ribs, too. The classic method seems to be to braise them, then remove them from the cooking liquid, let the cooking liquid sit in the refrigerator overnight so the (considerable) fat solidifies, then remove the fat and reheat the ribs in the liquid they were braised in.

Seems that you could so that, but start the ribs on the smoker to get some terrific flavor, then braise in a dutch oven.

Maybe I'll try that soon!

Pat

That is my preferred method though before I got a WSM-capable dutch oven I simple fashioned a pan out of foil, placed the smoked ribs in atop lots of sliced onions, garlic, sometimes other aromatics like dried chiles, sometimes dried fruit, then drizzled it with a liquid reduction and sealed tightly, returning it to the cooker to finish. Now, I do the same thing in a CI dutch from Lodge.

Contrary to most standard recipes, little liquis is actually needed if you go whole hog on the aromatics, especially the onions, as they release lots of liquids. This is a method I use sometimes for chuck roasts, and have used it with short ribs as well, and here is another approach I used for chuck roast (scroll down to below the tri-tip description) that I have also used for short ribs, the only difference being that I chopped the dried pineapple more finely. In all cases we ate right away, but had leftovers a day or two later which, owing to the time in the fridge, had better flavor. (For eating immediately, simple pour pan/foil juices into a fat separator and separate out most of the fat.)

So to pick up on an old thread.....

I'm making a pot of Beef & Barley soup. We usually toss a bunch of flunken style shortribs into a pot with some stock and braise til soft. Then we start the soup-making process.

I thought I would start the shortribs off in the WSM, so....

I put 4 strips into each of 2 aluminum pans and sprinkled with some mystery rub that I had. I then gave them 3 hours in the WSM uncovered at +/- 250 degrees. Next I took them out, put everything into one pan, pour in some Beef Stock, covered with foil and returned them to the WSM. I'm now about 30 minutes into this phase.

I'm really winging it here so if anyone has a good idea along this line, I'd certainly be interested in hearing it.

Thanks,

Brett

Wow... DeeLish!

After 2 hours covered, the short ribs were VERY tender. They were totally servable if this would have been the end goal.
I let everything cool a bit, moved the ribs into another foil pan and poured the stock into a fat separator.

Today we started the soup. Veggies were started in a stock pot, the meat went in and then the broth & barley. We added two cups of chicken stock (cuz we had it) and the first taste was outrageous! What a great flavor! The soup is now simmering and will be served later.

Brett

Back