Where can I find Tender Quick?

Bryan Rockoff

TVWBB Member
I am going to do a large (>22 lb.) turkey in a couple of weeks. I did two birds over the holidays and the family loved it. I will brine it for a couple of days in the Honey Brine recipe like the last ones. But I can't seem to find any source for Tender Quick. I tried the Allied Kenco page suggested and if it is there I can't find it. I did find something called "Prague Cure #1". Is this the same thing? If not, any suggestions where else to look for Tender Quick? Also, will it impact the flavor?

Rocky

=== Pasted from the Allied Kenco web site ===

Prague Powder #1: Also called Insta-Cure and Modern Cure.

This cure is sodium nitrite (6.25 %) mixed with salt (93.75 % ) As the meat temperate rises during processing, the sodium nitrite changes to nitric oxide and starts to 'gas out' at about 130 ? F. After the smoking /cooking process is complete only about 10-20 % of the original nitrite remains. As the product is stored and later reheated for consumption, the decline of nitrite continues. Use 1 oz. for 25 lb. of meat or 1 level teaspoon of cure for 5lb. of meat. Mix cure with cold water.

=== End of paste ===

Bryan,

I saw some Morton Tender Quick tonight at Wal-Mart, in the salt section.

Steve

Morton Tender Quick is on the Allied-Kenco site. Since they have a funky webpage implementation, I can't just paste a URL that will work, so follow this path of links from their home page at www.alliedkenco.com :
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Scroll down to the fourth box on the home page and click "Cures & Brines".
<LI>Click "Morton Sugar Cures" at the top left corner of the page.
<LI>It's in the second box on the page that comes up.

[/list]

I have purchased it locally from a butcher supply. Look up "Butcher Supply" in the Yellow Pages and see if there's someone around you that has it.

Prague cure is not the same thing. Morton Tender Quick is mainly salt and sugar with 0.5% sodium nitrate (preservative), 0.5% sodium nitrite (preservative), and propylene glycol (keeps mixture uniform). It does affect the color and flavor of your meat.

Regards,
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 03-25-2001).]

Thanks for the directions. I haved ordered a 5 lb. bag plus one of their injectors. Two follow on questions:

1) How will the TenderQuick impact the taste? Will it be noticeable thru a strong brine?

2) How much should I use? Is it a replacement for the salt in the recipe?

Thanks more.
Bryan

use as Shake directs in the recipe and it should be fine ( 2 tbs to gal of water).
Rinse very well after brining.
Jim

Bryan,

Shake's recipe calls for salt and honey plus other spices for flavor. Since Tender Quick is mainly salt and sugar (both of which are already in the recipe), my guess is that Shake uses it for the sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite content. It imparts a ham-like quality to the meat in terms of color and taste. It's less likely that he's using it for the preservative, antibacterial properties.

Regards,
Chris

No Shake does use it as a cure for poultry
when cooking larger birds (birds over 16 pound range) and hot smoking.
Jim

Jim,

So you're saying that Shake is using Tender Quick for its preservative quality. I guess it would make sense to have that working for you when dealing with large birds that might stay in the 40-140*F "danger zone" longer than desired during smoking.

Chris

Chris
You got it, unlike using Prague cures for those long cold smokes, tender Quick allows you that extra time in the danger zone that the large birds make you deal with.

Sorry for pulling this thread out of the grave but am planning on smoking a bone in turkey breast and had a question. After reading this thread its still not clear as to whether or not you can use prague powder #1 in place of Tenderquick? Yes, no, maybe? Id just feel a little more comfortable having something in there to fight any bacteria. I also have #2 as well.

Thanks Jim...I was hoping you were around to give an answer. I ended up using Keri's brine and added a teaspoon of #1...more for kicks than anything. I just have to satisfy my curiousity. Worst thing is that I heave the turkey into the woods and feed the coyotes tomorrow night.

I'm doing the Honey Brine this Thanksgiving on a 15 lb bird and not using the Tender Quick...we're not all going to die are we? I also don't won't to send anyone home with some unplanned Botox work...
icon_smile.gif

Back