Favorite Brine and Why

Jeff, I really enjoy the Jack Daniels brine...it is hearty, keeps the flavor of the turkey yet enhances it very nicely, while making the meat good and tender. The drippings also stand to make an excellent roux! An apple brine is good, as well, but I favor the JD brine.

I have two favorites: Larry's JD and maple syrup brine and the apple brine. I use them both about equally - just depends on my mood.

Don't rule out salting if you've never tried it. It's very easy and convenient, especially if the fridge is nearly full already, and doesn't change the texture...only adds flavor and the perception, at least, of moist meat.

Jeff, I just did one in the apple-honey brine. Smoked with two pieces of apple wood. It is supposed to be a Christmas present for a buddy of mine. It smelled so good when I took it off last night I almost changed my mind about giving it away
icon_rolleyes.gif

I've only ever used one brine and I've used it for turkey and chicken. Its John Kass' recipe that I found on YouTube (link below). I like it because it uses apple juice instead of water and it also uses a few spices in addition to the salt. So not only does it make your bird more moist and tender, but the juice and spices add a little flavor as well. Its very good and I always get rave reviews from my family when they eat my chicken or turkey.

Click Here

Back