Grilled Pineapple

Karen Elliott

TVWBB Member
This looks and tastes great: grilled fresh pineapple slices.

Cut the rind off of a sweet smelling, fresh pineapple and cut it into slices.

Dredge the slices through coconut milk if you've got it, melted butter if you don't.

Then dredge through brown sugar and grill immediately (if you put on the sugar and let tham sit, the sugar pulls juice out of the fruit and washes off).

This is always a hit at my house!

A hit at my house too!

Karen, here's a suggestion for those rinds: Sterilize a quart jar in boiling water; remove and allow to cool and dry. Wash the pineapple before cutting it in cool water; pat dry with paper towels. Cut the pineapple as you note above, then cut the side rind and bottom rind in large pieces (discard the top or dry it for planting). Put the rind (with any pineapple core) in your jar and cover with plain rice vinegar. Cover and store in a dark cool place for a couple-three weeks. Strain. (Pasteurize, if desired, by heating the vinegar to 162 for 30 secs, then cool rapidly in an ice bath. I usually do not do this.)

The resulting pineapple vinegar is great as a base for Q sauces, in Yucatec cuisine, or used as a liquid component of salsas or chutneys.

Now, Kevin, that peaks my interest! Might have to give that a try. I've thought about maybe trying to dry the rind and using it to smoke fish or chicken.

Chris: thanks for the link. (wonder if that's where I got the idea originally
icon_redface.gif

Chris, you made some with coconut milk and some with butter. Which did you prefer? Did enough coconut milk adhere to notice the flavor?

Rita

This has been a staple in our house for years. Only thing we do is sprinkle with sugar and a little fresh ground black pepper.

Rita,

I looked back at my cooking log, and I neglected to note anything about the difference in flavor between the coconut milk-dipped slices vs. the unsalted buttered ones.

Sorry.
icon_frown.gif

Regards,
Chris

I suggest if trying this, it's a very good idea take the time to CLEAN YOUR GRATE WELL before and after attempting this ... my pineapple tasted a bit like, well, the burgers and salmon I had just finished grilling up
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_smile.gif

Chris, as perceptive as you are, if you didn't make a note of a difference in flavor, there probably was very little, if any. It just might not be worth opening a can of coconut milk for the process.

Do you think the addition of some shredded or grated coconut to the dredge might burn?

Good point, Shawn. I'd like my salmon as an entree, not dessert.
icon_smile.gif
And I still love your WSM rocket!

Rita

Just a word of caution, after eating too many pineapple slices, especially with coconut milk, you may find a shortage of toilet paper in your house. Put hot pepper rub on yours? Danger, Will Robinson.

This was a huge hit with us and our guests for dessert tonight after a meal of what everyone thought was great (and I thought average) babybacks. I did the pineapple on my Weber Q which gave great grill marks. Quick, easy and delicious!

Back