Fired Up the 22

Dan N.

TVWBB Pro
Received on Weds. Assembled on Weds. Fired up Fri night (no meat) just to see how it handled. Alum in pan (wish they made 30" wide). Used the small charcoal ring from 18". Shot up to 300º in 20 minutes. Held that temp for 5 hours until I went inside at 10PM. Definitely need to remove lower tabs from bottom vents.

Sat AM. Practice cook with pork loin. Same setup as above, but I removed those dang tabs. Much better. Temp took longer to get up to 300º. The Weber thermo is definitely off. Showing 250º while my Taylor candy thermo was 300º. Loin done in a little over 2 hours (put on as soon as I fired her up).

Consensus - (1) love this thing; (2) need to order an 18" fire ring; (3) can't rely on thermo.

We have already named it the R4D4 (do I get naming rights?).

Oh, doing spatchcocked chicken and a friend of mine is bringing over one of them artery clogging bacon fatties this afternoon.

Dan

Originally posted by Dan N.:
The Weber thermo is definitely off. Showing 250º while my Taylor candy thermo was 300º.

I would test the thermo before you declare it off...I think the probe is just too short to compare temps to the lids temps that everyone quotes around here from Tel-Tru's and candy thermos.

I have a new 18" and my grate temps are reading quite a bit higher than the lid temp on the Weber thermo, but both thermos pass the boiling water test.

While running 300 at the bottom grate yesterday, my lid temp on the Weber thermo was only reading 275-280.

wish someone made wider foil for the 22 water pan as well! i've done about 6 or 7 cooks with my 22 since i got it. the temps are now starting to settle down a bit, just like when my 18 was getting 'broke in'.

and the guys at my local bbq galore store can't believe that i have a 22!

Consensus - (1) love this thing; (2) need to order an 18" fire ring; (3) can't rely on thermo.

Hey Dan - I fully agree that the thermo doesn't work. I had readings all over the place and plan to replace with a tel-tru I have, just need to get around and do it.

Are you in favor of the 18" fire ring because you think it will save fuel, run more consistent, both, or something else? I'm going to try my 18" ring during my next cook and see what happens.

Pat - probably more for fuel savings. Both cooks I have done were fairly high temp and I only monitored temp for about 5 hours each. Both times after 5 hours temp was still holding and there was fuel left.

As to the thermos, the stem of the Taylor was only about 3" below the lid. So the temp zone was the same as the Weber. Temp appears to be consistent between the two up until 175º - 200º range. Normally with my 18 I monitor temp with the hand feel method. With the Taylor reading 300º I couldn't leave my hand on the lid for any more than a second.

One other note - the large door access allows for for very quick temperature increases as compared to the 18 when left open. I think R4D4 is going to be one mean high temp brisket smoker.

This weekend - chuck roast.

Thanks Dan. I agree on the fuel conservation. I think the layer is too wide and burns up faster than it should. I'll give it a shot next time and see what happens.

I'm practicing chicken this weekend on the kettle, but I've been meaning to do a chuck roast. I want to make one for taco meat.

could someone please explain the 18 firering vs. the stock firering. I have a 22 on order and think that for longer cooks with bigger ring would be better. Thanks...

Rob, the fire ring for the 18" WSMs is a smaller diameter than the fire ring for the 22" WSMs. Therefore, using a smaller ring may allow for a smaller active fire (but less fuel load) and thus a longer burn.

Pat stated
I think the layer is too wide and burns up faster than it should
meaning with the larger ring and more fuel, it may allow a larger active fire than necessary, and waste fuel.

I hope this makes sense, and hope it helps...

I have yet to use the large ring. I can get a good 10 hour burn @ 250º with the small ring and I have used much less lump. I have also been able to run 300º and higher for 5 - 6 hours. I am ordering a second ring from Weber today (I still have one of my original 18's). But they are pretty expensive - $29.45 plus $7 shipping. Part #861601.

Dan

you of course can go to HD and buy a pieace of expanded metal, and a few SS nuts, washers, bolts and make a nice ring. That's what I did for my ECB. Came out great. Just another possible solution. I think I paid around $10-12, for the expanded metal, plus the other stuff.

I've been thinking about doing what you suggest John. How do you cut expanded metal?

I see a lot of the people that build drums use expanded metal for the charcoal basket. I think quite a few of them are as small, diameter-wise, as the 18" or smaller, but they are taller.

Pat

I cut the expanded metal, with an old pair of hand held metal cutters they work similar to a pair of wire cutters but have larger blades. I have to tell you it wasn't easy but i got through it, I'm sure there are other ways to do it.

I cut the piece I bought I want to say 2 ft. X ?? in half right down the middle, and then formed it around the charcoal grate, bolted it together, so the charcoal grate just fit in side expanded metal ring. Then I wired the grate to the ring as shown on this website.

Works great. Good luck.

John

OK John. Went to Home Depot. Picked up some expanded metal - a 24" x 24" x 3/4" made by Crown Bolt out of Aliso, CA. Cost about $20. Using side cutters cut two pieces that are just slightly higher than the original ring. Had to use my grinder to smooth out the cut sections. Tomorrow plan on getting some plate stock (2" x 4") to join the sections with stainless steel bolts. Will update later.

Thanks for the idea. Should be able to make two of these rings. Plan on this one just slightly larger than the 18 1/2 ring.

Will take some pictures this weekend when I do a practice cook on some pork loin. "Fire on Ice" anyone?

Dan

Dan

If it's not too late. I didn't use any plate stock. With the piece of expanded metal I bought.

I found the card board that came with the piece I bought it's 1/2 in X 12 in X 24 in.
I cut the 12 in side in half of course making the charcoal ring approx. 6 in high, just slightly higher than the weber ring.

I just bolted the pieces of expanded metal together. It's rigid enough to make a good solid ring.

Look forward to seeing the pictures.

With this being 3/4" rather than 1/2" there will be too much "wiggleroom" for any bolt and washer to hold. The idea of the plate is to have a front and back plate that when bolted together will exert enough pressure to eliminate any wiggle.

Dave

I just put Flat washers "large" enough to cover the 1/2 in opening, to prevent the "wiggle" you speak of.

Probably could do the same for the 3/4 in.
Whatever works for you is fine.

I have to say I was suprised how rigid mine was after just bolting it up with the washers.

That expanded metal is pretty tough stuff.

Dan

you can get some pretty large huskey flat washers, with pretty small holes for the botls/screws to go thru at the hardware store that's what I did.

John

Glad you talked me out of my plan. Easy-Peasy. Three bolts 1" 1/4" 20 plus 1 1/4" washers (inside and out). Need to double as you have to do each seam. The washers also very nicely squishes the tag ends so nothing sticks out. Thought I could make a little larger but 24" material only enough to duplicate the 18 1/2.

Will do a practice run with pork loin Saturday. Wondering if the extra air venting impacts your temp control.

Wife took camera down to Milwaukee this weekend so pictures will have to be later.

Thanks John for the comebacks - Dan

Dan

Glad it worked out for you.

I couldn't believe how nice mine came out and didn't cost a lot. It's nice and solid too.
It's also pretty simple to do.

Good Luck

Back