Help with African spices

Travis D

TVWBB Member
A friend of mine recently brought me some Cubeb Berries, Grains of Paradise and Long Pepper. I'd like to use them to make a beef rub similar to bigger badder beef rub . Supplies are limited and I have no idea where to start. Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

I use those spices frequently. They are all key ingredients in my ras el hanout, a nearly 40-spice blend I use in Moroccan cooking.

Sub the long pepper for 2 T of the black pepper called for. Grind well.

Sub the cubeb for the remaining 1 T of the black pepper called for. Grind very well.

Sub the grains of paradise for the green pepper called for. Grind well.

Consider adding 1-2 t ground ginger. It goes with the above especially well.

I'd drop the cayenne.

Thanks! Kevin

The main reason I wanted these spices were for a lamb tagine recipe. Would you mind sharing your ras el hanout blend?

Meant to get to this days ago...

With ras el hanout no one thing should be dominant. It is meant to be a complex blend, blend being the operative word.

I do not use measurements when I make it so I'm writing out of my head, what I think will work. Make adjustments after you blend it, as needed and if necessary.

I'll give you what i think will be good ratios in parts. Use whatever you wish - a teaspoon, a tablespoon, whatever - for one part.

Note that ras el hanout rarely contains herbs. I do use a little bay leaf in mine.

Again, all the following numbers denote parts - all should be finely ground:

2 cinnamon, Sri Lankan if possible

1 coriander

.5 nutmeg

1 allspice berries

2 fenugreek

.75 clove

1 green cardamom

1 cumin

2 grains of paradise

1 black pepper

1 white pepper

1 long pepper

1 bay

1 aniseed

1 African bird pepper (sub cayenne)

2 turmeric

2 ginger

1 mace

1 fennel seed

1 celery seed

1 star anise

1 turmeric

2 lavender

2 rosebud

2 sumac

More complex, add if and when available:

1 cubeb

2 mahlab

1 galangal

1 orrisroot

1 saffron

1 black cardamom

1 ash berries

2 monk's pepper

Awesome! I'm going to source out a few things this week and hopefully try it out this weekend.

Thanks again Kevin.

Back