Rutabagas, Turnips and, Parsnips

Yes in soups and stews and along with pot roast or just roasted. Then there's mashed turnips with S&P, parsley, and browned butter, YUM!

Whipped rutabagas with butter,cream,and S-P.
love the KA stand mixer!
icon_smile.gif

Tim

Bryan, i am a fan of turnips, browned butter with S&P. I thought I was all by myself with that one. Taste like potato with a hint of cabbage to me. Outstanding.

Just a few weeks ago a friend of mine who has a field full of turnips gave me a huge sack full that I was supposed to go through. Of course I didnt. About a week or so went by and this horrible smell that was over taking my house was quickly found. Yep,a rotten turnip. That is about as bad as a rotten vegetable can smell. Just gross.

Rutabaga was in an old family recip of my great-grandmother, who's family was from Prussia.

Don't know the exact quantities, but "Boiled Dinner" had the following in it:

Cabbage
Onion
Caraway Seed
Rutabaga
Potatos
Salt
Pepper
Pork Roast (browned lightly first, then simmered with the stuff above) - then pulled-out and cooled, sliced, and served with the broth & veggies.

Several of all 3 as well as a couple sweet potatoes and carrots. Heck, a couple potatoes and red onions if you want as well. But any combination will do. I've thrown in a butter nut squash too if it was brave enough to be on the counter
icon_smile.gif
Cube it all up (large cubes).

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C).
2. Combine all the veggies into a large bowl. If using onions seperate the chunks.
3. In a small bowl, stir together some thyme, rosemary, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Toss with vegetables until they are coated. Spread evenly on a large roasting pan or place into a large roaster (I use a #9 oval roaster for this)
4. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring every 10 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through and browned.

I stir and check occasionally and should for a nice carmelization on everything. I often go longer than the 40 minutes, but just don't get them too soft. I will jack the temp up if they are taking longer than usual to get to where I want them.

I like using the big roaster (uncovered) rather than a pan because it's easier to toss them and you get the additional even heat from the sides.

Good as is, add a little good balsamic before serving or anything else you like on your roots.

Of course this all works well added into and cooked with a roast. When I do that I'll usually throw chunks of celery in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We usually chop all three with a carrot, toss with some EVOO, S&P, some dried herbs and roast them in the oven. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just had some tonight! I looove parsnips. I was thinking of doing a potato/parsnip mash with roasted garlic but went with the old roasted standby, soooo easy, soooo good.

Back