Cooked Brisket Yield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

I got an e-mail today from someone asking about the yield you should expect from cooked brisket. I thought the answer might be of interest to those thinking of cooking a brisket for the first time.

You should plan on a 50% yield of edible meat from a whole, untrimmed brisket. You can lose about 25% by trimming fat before cooking, and another 25% due to moisture loss during cooking and more trimming after cooking. Of course, "your brisket may vary" and you may end up with more than 50% yield, but it's a good place to start for planning purposes.

For example, a 12 pound untrimmed brisket should yield about 6 pounds of cooked, trimmed meat. That could be used to make 24 4-ounce sandwiches, or 16 6-ounce plate servings.

An oldy (the post) but a goody. Guess I don't like seeing a post with no witty responses..lol
I think this whole 50% yield thing is a racket...lets blame it on the mob. No really if you want more meat...cook more I always say. YES I'm working nights this week and YES I'm sooooooooooooooo bored. Haven't had much to do in the past four days..hope Fri night goes the same way.

Or for us slobs who love brisket two small meals
icon_biggrin.gif

Nick P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back