Pickapeppa sauce clone ?

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
My wife loves Pickapeppa sauce. I'd like to try to duplicate it. Now Kevin K says "Commercial sauces are usually easy to clone." So, Kevin or anyone else; here's another 'opportunity' for you
icon_wink.gif
. Per the company's website, the ingredients are: "tomatoes, onions, sugar, cane vinegar, mangoes, raisins, tamarinds, peppers and spices." I guess what I'm looking for is a recipe that shows the ratio of the above ingredients.

Thanks,

Paul

Okay. I did this. A preliminary first go but it worked pretty well. Needs a little tweaking. I thought I brought my notes with me but as yet cannot find them. Maybe they are still on the kitchen table. I'll call later and see. Wanted to let you know something is forthcoming though.

I for one am looking forward to it. It's one that I keep on hand all the time. Interested in give the clone a try.

Interesting thing: tamarind does not appear on the label. I did not use it, working off the label as I did. I did notice a bit of a difference in sourness but I attributed that to my use of a different vinegar. (My cane vin is in Okee, I was in Shawnee.)

This is a first go. One never knows what specifically might be meant by 'peppers' on a label but I selected two that I feel would be similar to those likely used. In a case like this, where their flavor is not dominant, it usually works just fine.

1/2 can diced tomatoes in juice, juice included

1/2 smaller medium onion, diced

4 T organic sugar

1 cup white balsamic vin

1 med garlic clove, pressed

1/2 c raisins

1/2 small mango, cubed

1 small aji amarillo chile

1 med guajillo chile

1/3 t dried thyme

1/8 t ground clove

salt and white and black pepper

Combine all in a pot. Bring to a full simmer then reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook till the chilies and raisins are completely reconstituted. Remove from the heat. Remove the chilies then remove their stems and seeds as best you can; return them to the pot.

Purée the mixture very well. Strain through a fine sieve, forcing somewhat through. Discard the solids. Adjust consistency with water and/or vinegar - or don't bother. Adjust salt and pepper.

I served it on the side of grilled flat iron.

Were I in Shawnee I'd try the tamarind addition. I'd add it at the end, just before removing the pot to purée. I'd go with 2 t tamarind concentrate.

If you don't have organic sugar go with around 80% white, 20% light brown.

If you don't have cane vinegar use white balsamic or white wine, not distilled white.

Make sure the mango is ripe - it should feel like a just-ripe avocado, giving a bit when pressed - not overripe and too soft.

If ajis are not at hand use a tiny chile de arbol or half a small cascabel instead.

I'll play with this again at some point but give it a shot as is and see what you think.

Outstanding! Thanks Kevin. Interesting that tamarind is not on the label. The company's website lists tamarind as an ingredient. Although this may just be the importer's (Warbac Sales). I'll try it both ways. I know I have several balsamics on hand, but no white or cane. Does cane vin have a bit of sweetness?

What would probably be my biggest hurdle in duplicating a recipe, is coming up with the proper ratio of ingredients. For example; I know that ingredients are normally listed in order by volume, but how did you determine that 1/2 c of raisins would work versus 1/4 c? I know, 30 years of experience and a highly developed palate...
icon_wink.gif
. Would you mind describing your procedure? Was this recipe based on your 1st run or did it take several tweaks?

I appreciate your effort and congrats on your MVP award!

Paul

I for one love tamarind and can taste it from the jar. I'll be adding to mine the first round that I make it from K's recipe and tasting between the two. Even if it's not in the original I'll want it there as I think it would be a good add.

Thanks Kevin!!

I agree. Tamarind is a good addition.

On the vinegar: Cane is somewhat softer. It lacks the subtle fruit notes of fruit-based vinegar. Lacking that, white balsamic or white wine, I'd suggest rice vinegar (the regular, not the 'seasoned'). Lacking that, go with whatever you have. A little fruit is not going to matter, with the raisins in there already. The color will be darker but that's not of consequence.

The recipe is based on my first run. I did it the evening before I left the house.

Ingredients are listed in order of weight. What I do is look at the sauce dripped onto a spoon. I judge its consistency and color, and look for any telltale bits of this or that. I taste it alone in small amounts to get the sense of sour, sweet, salt, spice, in this case fruit, as well as palate consistency.

Manufacturing processes differ and I never know the one used. But one can vary many things and still end up with a similar result. Contrary to how I usually make sauces, when tasting the original I noticed no remarkable caramelized flavors (and there is not fat listed) so sautéing to develop these flavors was out of the question. (This is typical for commercial sauces. It adds an extra step and a costly one at that. It's one of the reasons I rarely like commercial Q sauces. Pickapeppa, however, is not styled as a 'sauce' per se (though can be used as one), but more of a condiment.)

Looking at the ingredient list I start with the prominent ingredient and work from there. Because weights are the issue, I know I can start with X amount of the primary, in this case tomatoes, and work from that, knowing that I can add the vinegar in stepped amounts - i.e., a bit at a time. As long as I don't go crazy with it, it can still end up as more than the tomatoes volume-wise, but not weight-wise, keeping me in line.

Because it is likely the packer uses canned or otherwise processed tomatoes I go with those. I picked a half can out of the air to start with and worked off of that.

I worked up from 3/4 c vin to start to 1 c later. I pulled a half a small-med onion out of the air - made sense to me and a variance one way or the other would not make much difference - and started with 3 T of sugar. Tasting this as it all dissolved I upped the sugar to 6 T then decided it was too much and added the other 1/4 c of vin. (When the sauce was done I still found it a bit too sweet so cut the sugar - mentally, I have not made it again - to 4 T.

I decided on half a small mango - one needs to start somewhere - and 1/4 c raisins. The peppers were a bit of a question. The sauce has some nice kick so i looked at what I had, went small since I wasn't making a lot, and chose what I chose. The garlic in the sauce is subtle so I chose one medium clove and pressed it into the pot.

The thyme is not at all pronounced but there, so I pinched some out of its tin then added a little more. The 1/3 t is approximate.

As this gently simmered I thought of color and felt that once puréed it would be too light. The chilies would add color depth but I found it unlikely that the packer was using a substantial quantity of dark chile to cause the color and so that meant upping the raisins. Adding another T didn't make me think the color would still work out right so I went with a full additional 1/4 c raisins.

The clove amount is based on tasting in my head. I was utterly out of all clove in Shawnee (I have tons of it in Okee!) so I did not use it. The 1/8 t noted is what I think would work.

I knew I was going to purée, that's obvious, and felt that I would very likely strain to remove the solids, especially the bits of tomato and chile skin that never completely purées. When all the dried items were well reconstituted I removed the chilies, removed their stems and attached seeds, returned them and puréed the lot. Thick, I then dumped into a sieve over a bowl. The mix was the right color but, as you'd suspect, the drainings were thin. Forcing through some of the mixture, scraping the underside of the sieve periodically with a spoon to dislodge the thicker mix being forced though, I kept this up till the contents of the bowl looked right. (This is not what would happen at a packer. They likely use skinless tomato, chile powder of some type or types, possibly onion purée, etc., so that straining is either unwarranted or minimized. At home, and with the ingredients I have at hand, it is far easier to work a clone in the way I do, imo, rather than trying to replicate what the packer likely does.)

So that's how I went about it. As this represents the first run and, as noted in this description, there are a couple things I'd check when doing it again, try it regardless and see what you think. Had I time at the time it would not have been at all difficult to make some adjustments after it was completed, so I encourage you to make it as written then see what you think, making adjustments as desired. It worked out quite well. As I mentioned, I served it in a little bowl on the side of grilled flat irons (using another clone in its preliminary run) and it worked very well dripped on the steak here and there - or a forkful of steak quickly dipped in a bit of the sauce.

And thanks for the congrats!

Cooked up my 1st batch of Pickapeppa clone. It came out very good. I didn't follow the recipe exactly as I didn't have the suggested dried peppers. I can't believe my local market was out! Not wanting to wait, I subbed ancho and fresh jalapeno. The next batch I'll cut back the sugar a little and used the suggested peppers; it needed a little more heat. I do have cayenne and may add some of that to the current batch. I used a little over a pork loin I had done the other day; thinking the fruit and vin would work real well with the pork. It did. Thanks again Kevin.

Paul

Havent tryed the original nor the Clone. But if Paul think it tastes the same i guess it does.

Thats Impressive Kevin!

Well Done.

Wolgast, it didn't taste the same as the original, but it did taste good. I believe the original is aged in oak barrels to further complicate things; I'm not going to attempt that. As I mentioned, I didn't follow Kevin's recipe exactly. I encourage you to try this recipe; it's very good and can be easily adapted to one's own personal preferences.

Paul

it didn't taste the same as the original,
No, was just a first run.

I will be back in Shawnee tonight. I may play with it over the weekend and see what I come up with. Need to do taxes (with 4 businesses a major PITA) so not sure what time I'll have. I'd like to try it with ripe chilies, probably serranos, but they can be hard to find.

Need to do taxes
Come on Kevin; taxes vs. food? I think the looming fed shut down buys you a few extra days anyway. (Disclaimer: the preceding comment was not a political statement).
No rush on this. I'll enjoy tweaking the recipe myself. I've got serranos here and just saw the nearest market has guajillos back in stock.

Paul

Normally I just file an extension and do them between Aug and Oct. This year will be different (I think).

Yeah, tweaking is much of the fun. I'd suggest ripe serranos, not green.

Back