Spice Grinder/Mill

Mikey NY

TVWBB Member
I am looking to but a simple but good Spice grinder and wanted to know what most people use. What are you using?

I use a mortar and pestle like the one below but also use a coffee grinder from time to time.

mortar-and-pestle.jpg

Santa dropped off the Cuisinart-DBM-8 last year. LOVE IT! It's a little loud and sometimes wakes folks up in the morning if I start to early, but it's probably time for them to get up anyway.
icon_biggrin.gif
My Krups is now used for spice grinding.

It's not built very well but this has been working well. I usually shake it a bit as I'm grinding or do it in short bursts. What I like is that the cup is larger then some others and the cup is removable & washable.
Someday it would be one of these

For small quantities of DRY / hard spices - Like Stefan, I also like my mortar & pestle (I think that crushing them in this manner really releases the flavors).

However, this does not work well for larger quantities or for dried chilis.

For larger quantities, I guess that I'm lucky to be living fairly close to a Penzey's - so in this case, I usually buy what I need pre-ground..

Still looking at getting a cheapo-type (whirling-blade type) coffee grinder for toasted whole spices and chilis.

For whole-bean coffee - I recently bought a Capresso Infinity Burr Grinder. For home use, it's Da Bomb for Coffee. However, it would get messed-up / too hard to clean if used for spices.

I have the same Krups that Mac has.
icon_smile.gif
And I'll use a mortar and pestle from time to time as well.

Any blade type coffee grinder. More than 25 bucks is overspending. A mortar is good to have on hand for some tasks but general spice grinding with it is to much work IMO.

Mikey, you may wish to review this article from Cook's Illustrated...

BTW, I bought the Mr. Coffee Coffee Grinder - model # IDS75 - at Wal-Mart for under 20 bucks a couple years back, and it works fine.

I have been using a very old Krups coffee grinder that my husband had before I met him. It still works well, and have a spare that I bought to match our kitchen. I don't grind coffee anymore since we use the cold-brewed Toddy method for the last 10 years.

Back