Caste Iron Grates recommendations? Updated!

It's a good investment. I recommend getting at least one griddle with it and the lifter of course. I still can't figure out why the lifter doesn't just come with it? Funny they don't call them Craycorts on the Amazon site anymore.

I should add that the Weber gourmet system looks good as well and makes good grill marks. It has thick bars that will last much longer than the regular grates. I would still recommend a griddle though.

I got the Craycorts too and could not be happier with my purchase. Maintenance isn't too bad considering I do pretty much the same as with a regular grate: at end of cook, burn the crap off, and brush clean. Only difference is the additional few min. to "touch-up" with some oil at the end.

And of course with the additional mass it takes longer to heat up (and cool down) the grate so it will extend your "beverage" time while you wait for the grate to come to temp which I'd say is a huge plus
icon_smile.gif

These look like a great addition and I have heard many good comments on them. I have the Weber Gourmet system and like it. We have a steel wok that fits in the center cut out and works fine. Stir fry on the grill is fun and gets many comments.

Mike

They do look like the Craycourts. I've had them on my performer for I think going on 3 years now.

Love them. And like JohnnyS says, easy to maintain. You can use a Raicheln grill/grid lifter to pick up the whole unit and spin/turn with practice. I often leave two of the grates out and use the lifter to pick up and turn the whole thing direct/indirect if I don't need the whole area.

If you are averse to cast iron I would recommend getting a stainless steel wire rack from Weber. Much easier to maintain, clean that the standard chrome plated one. Thinner grill marks if that's what you are going for.

I'm a huge fan of black cast iron grates though. Others may not agree.

gary, if you do not mind the extra labour maintaining the cast iron grates (i do not mind it at all), then you will absolutely love them!
For the price of the lift handle, forget it.
I made one out of a scrap piece of steel and you can do the same. Find a wide tool of some sort, h3ll, a paint scraper will do the same job.
Yeah, I would buy these grates again! Heavy duty, and worth the dough.

Thanks to all for their invaluable input. I've just ordered the grate. Woohoo! Now I have no excuses for no grill marks.
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did you order any extras with it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No extras Shaun. I'll wrangle a grate removal tool out of something around the house. Thanks!

Gary,

I bought a Stok set before Home Depot stopped making them. They aren't perfect by far, but they are cast iron, and when treated right do a great job. I would expect any of these recommended would do the same.

Love mine too. I would recommend you to get the compatible Beer Can Chicken holders as well, if you like that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T Bounds:
Gary,

I bought a Stok set before Home Depot stopped making them. They aren't perfect by far, but they are cast iron, and when treated right do a great job. I would expect any of these recommended would do the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are still available here. At ~$40, might be worth consideration !

It's interesting...they are now calling it a "universal replacement grill grate", and even mentioning Weber by name. I see they're out of stock right now ; probably getting ready to jack up the price when the new shipment comes in
icon_wink.gif

Dean...

Those CrayCourts look very nice however I'm wondering how much of a pain it is to take them out to use the starter on the performer? Doesn't seem ideal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulFisher:
Those CrayCourts look very nice however I'm wondering how much of a pain it is to take them out to use the starter on the performer? Doesn't seem ideal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It takes a bit longer... with a regular grate you lift it up, and hang it, and you're good to go for access to the charcoal: 5-10 seconds.

Craycort: lift up one section of the grate, set it on top, then silicon glove to lift the whole thing out and set it on the ground (I made a holder/rest for it), then access the charcoal. The whole procedure takes about 20-30 seconds.

However the big difference is in when you want to add fuel mid-cook. With the hinged factory grates you just lift up one of the flaps and off you go. With Craycort you need to remove all the food that's on the grate, then repeat the above process
icon_razz.gif

But like I said earlier, for me the added benefits of cooking on CI outweighs the inconveniences. The non-stick property is a big plus.

I have never used a chimney starter. To light the charcoal I just lift out one craycort corner with the lifter and torch it. If I need to add charcoal i just lift out the same corner and push the lit charcoal aside with my lifting tool and add more coals.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions and tips. My craycorts arrived last Friday. I opened them up for use on Sunday and found one of the quarter grates with a manufacturer's defect. I notified them immediately by email and sent a pic of the problem. I got an emailed response early Monday morning. A replacement was on the way. It was on my doorstep tonight, Wednesday. Problems happen, but Craycort's customer's service was excellent. Good to know.

Back