Help with first Guru Cook

mike maclean

TVWBB Member
Have been using my WSM since this Spring (ribs, brisket, butt, turkey). After reading every post on ATC's, I decided to order a DigiQ (10cfm) and silver bullet jacket from bbqguru. I will have it tomorrow and am looking for recommendations for a first cook to test out its function and capabilities. Thinking about a pork shoulder but open to suggestions.

I think the BRITU ribs recipe would be a good one to learn with. You will get to watch the cook (versus overnighter), can see how long it takes to bump the temp up, etc.

A 10 cfm fan sounds pretty large for a WSM. I don't know if it will cause any problems, but I use 4 cfm stoker fans and they do just fine with a fully loaded cooker.

If you really want to see what the DigiQ can do try a pork butt. You will get a good feel for how the Guru operates durning an extended cook.
One word of caution: make sure that the "ramp mode" is turned off. I would only use the "ramp" after you have had a few cooks under your belt.

Once the WSM is up to temp I would close the dampner on the fan about half-way, and then close the top vent about half way or more.

I have the DigiQ II and a 10 CFM fan, and they work just fine with the WSM.

The Silver Bullet Jacket is a worthwhile investment, but I would not recommmend that you use it during your first cook unless it's raining or very windy. One thing about using the jacket that you should know is the lid handle will turn dark brown and black if you don't wrap it with foil or tape before using the jacket.

Back