Cooler for brine

Rolf Jacobsen

TVWBB Emerald Member
Do you keep it in the fridge? I ask because I never use a brine and the majority of recipes I see for smoking, recommend a brine. Hell, even salmon! That said, I’m thinking even if I go out and get this 4 to 5 gallon pot or better yet, something plastic, (most brines are salt based), where do I keep it for the 8 to 12 hours? I never have room in the fridge. Soooooooooooo, I'm thinking one of those Coleman 40 or 62 gallon coolers. Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts on this?

As Always... Thanks,

Rolf, welcome to our group!

I you have a small amount of food to brine, you can put it in a freezer-weight sealable plastic bag with some of the brine. Set it in a pan (in case of leakage) and slide it into your refrigerator.

You might check our main website for some innovative methods and containers for brining.

Rita

If I am brineing chicke for just the family, I have used gal ziplocks like I would marinate, then put that in a bowl. If I am doing alot, say 2-3 cut up chickens, or alot of salmon, I use the crisper drawers.

yup, i brine meats all the time and using plastic bags in tupperware is ideal and uses little room in the "fridge".

Folks, as always I appreciate the help. I currently use the zip lock bags for marinating and a brine should be no different. My problem is the larger stuff like a turkey. A search on this board confirmed my thoughts and also gave me some new ideas. I truly enjoy this place. Once again, thanks!

Large: Put it in a cooler with alot of ice and it will be fine over night. A good cooler will have the most of the ice left.

i bought a cooler JUST for brining.

i found a coleman at target where the lid comes off completely so its really easy to clean and disinfect.
It's big enough for a 20lb bird, possibly two 15lbers.

For turkey I use one of those orange, cylindrical "Gatorade" coolers. They're good because you don't need a lot of brine to fill it once the turkey is inside and it has a spigot to drain the brine out easily.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
For turkey I use one of those orange, cylindrical "Gatorade" coolers. They're good because you don't need a lot of brine to fill it once the turkey is inside and it has a spigot to drain the brine out easily.

Bill

x2. Walmart has them pretty cheap, usually.

Alton has a turkey brine that uses a brine plus ice to get a decent ratio while keeping your bird cold in one of these. I started out with that.

Now I make my brine how I like it the day before and store in the refrigerator overnight. I then put the bird in the cooler, pour in the brine and put 1 gallon zip lock bag full of ice on top. That way the ice doesn't dilute the brine when it melts.

Back