Does My Turkey Rub Need Salt?

Jim V

TVWBB Member
I’m brining a turkey with a recipe I came across which uses Morton's Tender Quick. It’s supposed to produce a hammy turkey. Here’s the recipe:

Make a turkey brine of 2 gallons water, 2 cups Tender Quick, and 2 cups brown sugar. Brine the turkey for 3 full days, then rinse the turkey for 2 days, letting it sit in a bucket of fresh, cold water. Replace that water every 12 hours during the 2 day rinse. Dry the turkey off, then smoke it until the thigh reaches 170 degrees Fahrenheit.

I’ve not used Tender Quick before but it seems to be many times more salty than ordinary table salt. That’s probably one of the reasons the turkey has to be rinsed for 2 days. The question is, when I prepare my dry rub should I go easy on the salt or leave it out completely? Thanks, Jim

No need to add any salt, the turkey will be fairly salty out of the cure. You probably don"t really need to soak for two whole days but it won't hurt.

Clark

Thanks for the advice. I made my rub but hadn't added any salt yet and now I won't.
icon_smile.gif

Back