Wet but fixed Thermapen

J Reyes

TVWBB Pro
I've been working (prep/line cook) in a Corporate Cafe recently that feeds 2-3K a day and has 30-40 cooks.. As far as I know I'm the only one with a Thermapen.. so it gets lent out a lot. Yesterday I lent it out to someome to calibrate their dial thermometer.

Next thing I know the case is sitting half way submerged in ice water... it then starts reading numbers that didn't makes sense... this morning I fixed it as follows:

Removed the two stickers and the three screws below the stickers. This splits the case.

Removed the two screws holding the circuit board and removed that part.

Used a blow dryer on cold air to dry any wet parts.

But it back together and it reads 211 in boiling water.

John;
I have a Thermapen but haven't had to do this, as yet.

I appreciate the information. Who knows? "Stuff Happens"!

Dale53

that sucks - thought they were supposed to be waterproof...

I do a lot of electronics repair work (my shop does anyway). Sometimes the water will cause corrosion on the board, conductive contamination between the legs on the IC chips. You can use a little mineral oil (we use deoxit d5) on the board to clean & protect it if you notice issues in the future - just scrub it with a toothbrush then blow it dry w/ compressed air. You could also use electronics-grade isopropyl alcohol, don't use rubbing alcohol though, it's as bad as the water on the board in the first place.

My new one's instructions (just a couple of weeks old)say to NOT submerge it. It is just "water resistant"...

Dale53

Back